How much time do you typically spend cleaning everyday?

It seems like cleaning consumes so much of my time. Then at times I hear people saying they do 15 minute quick cleans and I read books that mention these quick cleans. I find it impossible to have my house look clean in 15 minutes....sometimes.....often...depends on how messy my family and I was that day. Is my family just messier than most or it's also possible that I try to get things too clean to the point of reaching for perfection. I never reach perfection and know in my mind that I shouldn't try but I sure do like when my house looks oh so clean and beautiful. Is it unusual to spend at least and hour and a half to 2 and a half hours cleaning everyday and that don't count the deep weekly cleaning like scrubbing tubs and mopping floors, etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I don't knkow but it sure feels like alot
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i do a general hour to 2 hrs a day. sometimes less if there is a lot going on that keeps me from doing so. when i have a day off and nothing going on, i tend to spend most of that day doing big cleaning and stuff that has been neglected.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 9:44 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• everyday? i usually do the mad dash right before dh gets home. usually an hour. usually about once a week i get a good 4 hours in and do a nice cleaning
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:44 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I hear ya- it's a never-ending dilema we face. I try to get the family's help (that is why we had kids-right? -JUST KIDDING! please no irate responses about child labor laws) However, there's no reason everyone can't be assigned some chores they do regularly. And if you have a dishwasher- there's no reason EVERYONE can't rinse their dish & get it there. I have posted step-by-step laundry instructions & even marked the spots on the dials. (still no takers tho!) I just try not to let it consume my life, esp. in the summer. Yes a nice clean house is fun to admire- while it lasts anyway.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I don't know. I feel like the cleaning never, ever ends. I have a large home, two toddler boys, a cat and a husband to clean up after. Its endless, thankless work. The only time I feel good about it is for the 10 minutes is actually stays clean. And...I did do what I thought was a quick - not deep - clean the other day. It took me about 5 hours to do the entire house. And its trashed again already. So I wish I could help you...but I fear we are both in the same predicament!!
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 9:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• In addition to daytime dishes (which vary from day to day), and laundry (which doesn't really take that much timeā€”it's not like I sit in front of the washer and dryer and monitor their actions) I do about an hour. Does my house look clean? Not particularly, but it doesn't get really bad, either. I figure if getting the house ready for a party only takes the morning, I'm doing fine.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:09 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I felt the need to add something to my previous response. On those days when you're feeling overwhelmed- just remind yourself of a few things (it will change your perspective) Be happy you have a home to take care of, a family to give it the "lived-in" look, and the ability to even have the "stuff" that gives it that look.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I clean 3 hours in the morning, and I keep up all day, then an hour at nighT@! 7 days a week!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I think cleaning consumes a lot of time also. Don't let it get to you. Some of these women maybe don't have a lot of stuff some might just say that they do this when their house could actually be a real mess. I can spend more time cleaning also but I choose not to. My home is very lived in. They just take 15 minutes to go wipe the sink down run the sweeper or whatever go in small jobs you might not feel so overwhelmed. Cleaning is a hankless job that you can do over and over again. If you think you might have too much stuff try scaling back and see if that helps.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:45 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I spend about 2 hours a day cleaning my house. That includes; moping, sweeping, vacuum, dusting, and dishes. Plus whatever else needs to be done. In my entire house. I normally keep my house very clean, so it doesn't take much to get things done. Then through out the day I pick up here and there. And then do a quick 30 minute run over the house before DH gets home from work after kids go to bed.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 1:30 AM on Aug. 17, 2010