Moms with uncirc'd boys? Did the tips every get red and tender?

My 2 yr old son's penis tip is red and irritated. He says it's owie. He isn't running fever (like with a UTI). He's still in diapers. No one has retracted the foreskin.

Have any of your son's done this? What helped? I have prescription antibiotic ointment from when he had a bacterial diaper rash. I have Nystatin cream. I have 3 different brands of diaper rash ointment. And I have hydrocortisone cream. What do you think he needs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would take him to the doctor because he has a fever, but you need to remember that he needs to pull the foreskin back and clean it every time he bathes. You might have to do that for now. But my little brother is uncirc. and he had to do this as a child.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 10:24 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Could be irritation from the heat. DO NOT retract his foreskin! It will naturally retract on its own around 7 yrs old. try some vaseline on it for a day or 2. See the doc if it worsens or doesn't go away.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• my son would have this happen occassionally, it seemed to me that he had likely caught it somehow and irritated the skin. we did take our son to the pediatrician the first few times it happened. but there was nothing the dr could do but suggest letting our son run around naked for a bit to allow the skin to breathe and heal better.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:33 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• NO MOMTO ELLIETT...she DOES NOT need to PULL BACK the forkskin...the is the BIGGEST most IRRITATING misconception about intact penis. It drives me CRAZY!!!!!

It should be fine.....once in a blue moon my son would get a fuzzy stuck in the very tip of the forskin...like where you can see it if you look really close, it seemed to irritate him. I would just pull the lint out easily and it seemed to immediately feel better :) If you do not see anything...just make sure you are WASHING IT LIKE A FINGER NO RETRACTION and rinse it very well :)

Let it air dry...let him go without diaper for a while...it should be fine :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:41 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I've never had that with my son (yet). But I find that when I have questions on my son's foreskin... I ask in the group "Raising Intact Boys" on cafemom. They are a wonderful resource with CORRECT info... I would join that group :)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:25 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Maybe have him sit in a lukewarm bath. I agree with NOT retracting the foreskin. I also agree with going to the RIB group here. You might try a bit of diaper cream or vaseline on the tip. How long has this been going on? If it's just today, I'd keep an eye on it. If it's a day or two, maybe a doctor visit is in order.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2010