What can be done for someone who is threatening suicide?

My grandma is dying. My aunt(her daughter) is taking it really bad and is threatening to kill herself when her mom passes. I don't know what to make of it. She does have the flair for being dramatic,but also has a wicked temper and flys off the handle very easily. I don't know if this is part of the grieving process and she's panicking,or if she's trying to make people feel sorry for her,or if she's mentally ill or what! If she continues this behavior what can we do? Call the police? I'm mostly worried because she's the sole caregiver beside her daughter of her 3 month old grandson. I don't want him to be in danger of his grandma doing something crazy while she's watching him!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:25 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• Now, I'm not saying this is the truth in every case but in my experience it is. When some one "threatens" suicide continually, a lot of times its to get attention. I've had 4 people in my life kill themselves, and not once did they ever threaten to do it. It just happened. Looking back we can all see clues but they never once said they were even considering. That being said, I've been around people like your aunt, who as soon as something hard is going on in their lives, or someone else is getting more attention then they are, they threaten to kill themselves.
    Now, in her case, I'd have her committed, or call the cops and say she was a danger to herself. It will either a) prevent her from doing her self harm if that really is her intent or b) make her realize just how serious what she's saying is.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• The only thought I have is to call a suicide hotline and tell them what is going on. If anybody knows of anything you can do, it should be those people who are trained to handle these kinds of situations. I doubt there is anything you can do for her yourself.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:30 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• if you truly believe that she is a danger to herself, you can call the police and they can take her to the hospital and put her on hold. you need to talk to her and tell her you are worried about her. she can voluntarily check herself into a psychiatric hospital but if she refuses and she continues to talk about suicide, just call the police. also you might want to give her hotline numbers to call and get in touch with a therapist. she might just need someone to talk to who isn't part of the current picture.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:34 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• If I were you, I would sit down and talk to her and tell her I was worried about her, and not only her but her grandson. If these are not empty threats, you would feel horrible if you ignored the plea for help. Talk with her, offer to call a suicide hotline for her. If you feel that she is serious about what she is saying, call your local police department. They can have her involuntarily commited until she is no longer a danger to herself.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• National crisis hotline is 800-273-8255 and the national suicide hotline is 800-784-2433. I believe these numbers are current.. 411 should be able to help if theyare not. Now, these are usually for those in real crisis but they might be willing to talk to you and give advice. You really don't know what she will do until your grandma passes. I hope she is just being dramatic. Those around her who really need her will have to support her when the time comes and let her now she is needed. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:51 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Anytime suicide is threatened it should be taken seriously, she needs to be admitted just in case.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• well i would take her to get checked out to see what is making her feel this way & be there for her say that her baby is going to need his mommy so you need to think about this take it easy just take a deep breath i know your hurting but im here for you & you know that if you need someone to talk to i love you & care about you & dont want you to go im going to miss you please stay rethink your decision & you dont want to live your baby without his mom i know you dont well i hope nothing going to happen good luck & im sorry hear what you are going threw i know it must be hard for you but everything will be ok i hope just hang in there & be the best you can
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 11:35 AM on Aug. 16, 2010