Does coffee really boost your metabolism?

I was told that it does this morning... But I don't know if I should trust that info.

Plus, is coffee good or bad for you?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 10:27 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Coffee works in a couple of different ways. Yes the caffeine does speed up metabolism because it increases your heart rate, respiratory rate, and cellular activity, then coffee also supresses appetite, it gives you a boost of energy and makes you feel more awake, and it stimulates the bowels and has a diuretic effect (pushes out water from your system). For weightloss you have to make sure you aren't adding a bunch of sugar and creamer (added calories and fat). You also want to make sure you drink it with a small portion of carbohydrates and proteins so that your blood sugar doesn't drop suddenly (another effect it tends to have). For every cup of coffee add another 8 ounces of water to the water you are already drinking (you should be drinking half your body weight in ounces of water every day) Caffeinated tea has similar effects, just not as strong as coffee. Coffee and teas are fine in moderation (as was said already)
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 10:46 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• The caffeine in it does a tiny bit,but only for a short while. Soda can do the same thing technically. Coffee stimulates the bowels! Its fine in moderation just like many other things.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I don't know about coffee,but hot tea do
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:30 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Heroin, seriously? That's a great idea. You'll be skinny and dead.

Yeah, a bit of coffee is good for the metabolism, but you have to have it without cream and sugar.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:32 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• coffee actually does the complete opposit to me. it slows me down and makes me feel sluggish. frozen sugar drinks are the only thing that boosts my metabolism
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 11:45 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Yes, but not much.

Caffeine does increase metabolism a little --and it doesn't matter if it's delivered in guarana, chocolate, tea or coffee.

Also available for speeding metabolism: amphetamines (still available for general use, in ADHD medications, 'diet' pills, and hidden in proprietary 'tonics' and home 'remedies' that are sold as miracle cures for all kinds of things and just as addictive as ever); exercise, hot peppers, anything the builds muscles (including steroids, legal and illegal).

Heroin is a great weight loss drug --it's not that is speeds metabolism in any way, just that it numbs appetites (all of them), so you don't care at all if you're eating, resulting in you only caring about when you can get some more heroin...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:39 AM on Aug. 16, 2010