You look up one info. detail and found another accidentally !! Ever do this?

Just looking to see if incense was really harmful to burn, and mostly it is. But then it says in a testimonial article to burn lavender for this. . . when fleas are in your home. Yes, of course it's harmful to breathe right in, ..and if you don't keep ventilation in both directions of the home air flow.

Also orange peels , "the scent " from them are good to stave off fleas from pets and in the home. I suppose it's such an intense smell to them they get far away.

It makes me think that whatever is in those hartz flea collars should be re-thought out and used some biologically organic methods now.

coffeeyum

Asked by coffeeyum at 10:36 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Health

• The question is, do the scents really work?
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 10:41 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• That's interesting
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:43 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• While you're all enjoying your 'biologically organic' methods you may like to pause for a moment...

Volatile organic compounds are not, as you may have guessed from the name, created solely in a lab. You can make your own at home by, specifically, burning things. Generally, the compounds released when things (even organic things) are lit on fire are not, generally, safe to inhale --even in relatively small quantities.

You may not be aware that there is sufficient arsenic in an apple to easily kill a small child. Now, I see that you didn't suggest lighting an apple on fire (think of the difficulty in doing so, for one thing!)... but I don't see you listing the chemicals or toxins that are in either lavendar or orange peel --and, no, I don't know what they are, either. It seems rather... naive... to assume there aren't any.

Kind of like assuming that certified organic apples don't have arsenic --a natural toxic compound.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:52 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• organic apples have arsenic?? How much in each, is it in just the wax which is said to be edible, human safe, and food grade?????
    coffeeyum

Comment by coffeeyum (original poster) at 10:55 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• It was just interesting, I'd never go right out and buy anything these days ,, that is unless I know that research is done first. Even those fun cheap sparklers make me wonder what is in the burning part while burned. I just hate the wire itself. OR stick or whatever, I think they are bamboo, not sure. I love the smell of burning leaves in the fall though, it's so new, like the air is clear and it keep those bugs out of the area.
    coffeeyum

Comment by coffeeyum (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• The arsenic is only in the seeds of the apple. So just don't let your child eat the seeds.
    MagnoliaQueen

Answer by MagnoliaQueen at 10:59 AM on Aug. 16, 2010