What age would be good for a DS?

Help me out ladies, my soon to be five year old wants a DS for her birthday. Is she too little? What will a get the most of my money a DSi or a DS lite or what should I get? Thanks for the help.

Trinitysmom1205

Asked by Trinitysmom1205 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i'd say 5 is to young, but thats just me. Not really sure if they are able to comprehend all games and buttons at that age?
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 10:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I just got my kids a ds to share(haha not the greatest of ideas) And got them two games each. DS is 5(turned 5 in june) and I got the regular ds lite. The dsi is more for if you want to do online stuff, which I didn't think was needed for them. Anyhow, I got dd(7) the tinkerbell game, and the pet doctor game, and ds got the superheros and Cars games. His games are way funner! the tinkerbell one just sucks!! Its' hard to figure out what to do and there dosnt' seem to be much to do. So I would research the games you get before you buy any. It didnt' take him long to get the hang of it either. I keep the ds in my bedroom and they have to ask to play, they dont' have free reign on how long they play or when, I keep it to a minimum. :) have fun!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• one more thing...I've seen 3 year olds get ds' and I think that was too young, but they figure it out fast. At 5 I think it would be fine. I myself want to get a couple games to play for ME lol
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:56 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i dont think 5 is to young either just make sure u have a balance of it more running around the ds video game
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 10:59 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• as in nintindo ds? i've seen so many kids addicted to that crap. i refuse to buy my son one. he is almost 6. buy them a leapster. i don't know if those things have educational games...if so, then yeah, maybe..but i can't stand seeing kids walking around all zoned out on those games.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My daughter (7) keeps telling me she wants one. I thought she was way too young, but according to her, all the kids in her class have one. I am a bit of a moron when it comes to setting up things like that. It's a lot of money if it doesn't get used
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:03 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Yes, my daughter says the same thing that all her friends at daycare of one. She also plays one from time to time at daycare. We do have the leapster and she likes to play that, but we also have another daughter that could use the leapster if we got my 5 year old the DS. Some of the games that I was looking at are the Smart games. I think that they were better than some of the other one.
    Trinitysmom1205

Comment by Trinitysmom1205 (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My DS (8) just got one this summer, but he had to earn all the money for it himself. It took him all year to earn enough. I don't think my DD (5) is old enough for a handheld game, but she also doesn't like to play video games like DS does. I
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 11:10 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• my son does beg for that too but i think the leapster is enough....we decided we are going to get a wii for his bday instead. that way atleast we can get some games where he can be somewhat active and the entire family can be envolved
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I'm torn between a Leapster or a DS. My 5 year old plays on her sister's DS all the time. I want to see how she adjusts to school first.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:45 PM on Aug. 16, 2010