Declawing A Cat

What has been your experience with having a declawed cat? I'm considering having my kitten declawed. Yes, I realize that it's a series of amputations. I've researched it greatly, and I would now like to read of personal experiences. No drama. :)

Thanks!

SMH2010

Asked by SMH2010 at 10:56 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Pets

• If you find the right kind of vet that does the job right in the first place, you won't have any problems at all. We've had 3 cats (one we had to put to sleep a few years back, his kidneys started shutting down :( ) and they were all declawed. 2 we had done and the 3rd came to us as as stray already declawed. All of them are fine, their claws didn't start to grow back, their paws are not deformed and they function normally. I did resist getting our first cat declawed for the longest time, but she was feral and after too many times of her blindly running up to people and scratching the hell out of them (including my face multiple times--and this would be while I was in bed laying down to go to sleep!), enough was enough.

Our cats toes were not amputated, the claws were removed, and again, they've never had any issues. They have their back claws still and you'd be surprised at how well they can defend themselves.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:15 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Both of mine were done. They came home and had a few days of tenderness and then were back to their old selves. Both still "scratch' the couch and leave their scent on it with their paws.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:58 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I had my cat declawed when I was younger...I was about 20 and I didnt know any better. After a few months her claws started growing back in but all deformed, I felt sooooo bad, but it was hurting her b/c she was walking on a couple of them, and I HAD TO get it redone! I felt so guilty. Learned from the vet later that its not uncommon at all for the claws to grow back.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:59 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• dont do it its not fair to cats they need there nail. Y do u want to de claw your kitty is the cat a scratchier.
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 11:04 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My 1st and 2nd cats I had declawed when they went in to be fixed. My cats had sore feet for days afterward. Even though they did not have claws, they still did the scratching thing on furniture and such-- just no claw marks or damage.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:05 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• We had our cat front declawed only several years ago. They were tender for a few days, but she's never had a problem with them at all. It's a personal decision...just be sure to find a reputable vet to perform it. ..don't go the cheap route! Good Luck!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:06 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Just curious, why do you want to do this? Is it because you don't want the cat to damage your belongings? Are you afraid the cat will harm your kids?

A good alternative is Softpaws. At least take them into consideration before you make that appointment.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:15 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• We have had numerous house cats but only declawed a few, front paws only. The third time we had one declawed, she developed a horrible infection in her toes. I had to clean the infection out from under her toes every day and apply ointment, VERY painful procedures for her. She turned into a very mean and hateful cat, I believe due to the bad experience of the infection. I've never declawed a cat since. We use spray bottles, a firm NO, and redirection. Cats need to scratch, so provide a scratching post with catnip on it for your kitty to scratch. We also keep our cats' claws trimmed with a regular nail clippers so that they don't develop the sharp talons.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Having a cat declawed can SERIOUSLY change their attitude. I've known several people that had REALLY sweet cats, but got them declawed because they were naughty and scratching the furniture. After the surgery the cats became SERIOUSLY anti-social and somewhat hostile.

It really doesn't take much time/effort to keep claws clipped (you can train them to be good while you do it), or you can get those little cover things that glue on.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 11:49 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Thanks ladies. My kitty is tearing at my furniture and curtains. I'm going to continue to try and deter this behavior through other means, but declawing him is still something I'm considering. I would take him to a very experienced vet. I adore my kitten! We're going to have him for the next 20 years or so, and he'll stay indoors. I just don't want him to be destructive.
    SMH2010

Comment by SMH2010 (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Aug. 16, 2010