My son is 4 and has adhd it is hard to make him mind i was wondering if anybody new of something i can tried that might make him mind i have tried alot of things if any body knows please tell

i have tried the timeouts, tough love where u sit and hold them and will not let them up and rock and tell them u love them and i have try doing what he is doing to show him what he looks like doing it and explaining and other things

dazcody82

Asked by dazcody82 at 11:04 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My Daughter is 8 and has ADD...she has issues minding also and will through a tantrum when she is asked to clean off the table. When the fight gets too bad I make her have time out in her room with the door closed...she is allowed to come back out with the family when she is done throwing her fit and ready to do what she was asked to do.

I hope that this helps.
    rjackson4684

Answer by rjackson4684 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My sympathies. My son (he's 19 now) was quite a handful at that age. Positive reinforcement doesn't always work w/ these kids. Trust me, I was in college taking early childhood classes when he was that age- there were times I wanted to swat his behind with the book- since the contents in the book didn't apply to him! I found that a combination of positive reinforcemnt, loss of privledges as a consequence, and some low-dose meds (once in school) helped best. Good news is - he's brilliant, (as most w/ ADD/ADHD usually are) and he settled down as he matured. Plus, you have the satisfaction of seeing them get theirs someday, when they have a son that's a chip off the old block! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• " I found that a combination of positive reinforcemnt, loss of privledges as a consequence, and some low-dose meds (once in school) helped best."

Exactly what I was going to say! ;-) Also creating short-term goals so the kiddo doesn't lose sight of the end result. Consistency is so important as well.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Ahh not sure, good luck
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010