Cell phones...when is a child old enough for a cell phone?

rjackson4684

Asked by rjackson4684 at 11:04 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• In my house-- when he can afford to buy it and pay for it himself
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• We won't even discuss it in this house until they are at least 13 and have proved they are responsible enough to have one.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:09 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I can see this day in age that it would be security for kids to have cell phones, but I would do it in the way that it was to be kept with them along with their house key, kwim, something to have on them, where they could call only like 3 numbers, grandma, home, and 911, etc, and they were not to call friends or use it to fraternize, only for security and safety, not for fun. As they got older they could maybe earn minutes and I would control how many minutes they got and when they had to leave a certain number of minutes on it for emergencies at all times, so it could teach them self control and responsibility too. I liked the idea of those disney phones where you could control the minutes and numbers it could call.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:09 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• when they are old enough to show responsibility for its use, respect and appreciation for who's paying for it. ..or when they can pay for it themselves.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:11 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I will get my DD a cell as soon as she is old enough to begin going places by herself w/o an adult chaperone. (My DH says that will be when she is 30!) I will probably also invest in that family tracker plan that allows the parent to locate the child at all times. You can never be too safe.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• When they are old enough to have a job and pay their own bills.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• If it's basically just a toy used to communicate with friends, then I'd say they can have one when they can pay for it. If it's for safety, then I'd say when the safety issue arises. If it's for the parent's convenience then it should be at the parent's discretion.

My daughter is 14 and does not have her own cell phone. We do have a spare phone that we issue to her when it's convenient to us for her to have it or when we feel it contributes to her safety, but she has to give it back to us when the special situation is over. We've had the extra phone for over a year, and she's only had it in her possession 4 or 5 times, all of which were for my convenience.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• When they can pay for it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• When they are old enough to pay for it themselves. A phone is not a right and not a necessity.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 11:07 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Just like that 18 or Better or when you can get a job and pay for all the Text Messages and overcharging of minutes hey make them do it. It's your money use it the way you want to!!!!
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2010