what do you think when your child cries about going to daycare?

i am a childcare provider in my home and i have one 3yr old girl that cries every time her mom drops her off. shes been coming for over week now but none of the other children do this and im hoping the mom doesn't think something is wrong. I asked the mom if she does this with other people and she said im the only one shes been with besides her since shes been born so i get why she cries. I just want to know what do YOU think when your child has cried about going to daycare and what can i tell the parent to do to help ease the transition. I try very hard on my part when she gets here and once a minute has passed shes ok and playing but still cries off and on. Its hard for me to deal with 2 babies and other children when im constantly trying to calm her down.

marykaysauer

Asked by marykaysauer at 1:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• All of my kids stayed home with me with no babysitters othert than the occasional Grandma or older sister babysitting for them until they were atleast 3. I am very overprotective obviously. All ov my kids cried for a while when I would drop them off at school. My 4 year old still cries sometimes when I take her to school. When she's home she asks when she can go back because she misses her teacher. It's just normal separation anxiety. She will be fine. Maybe have here periodically peak in the window and see how she is without Mom around.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 2:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• it's so normal!!! I have worked in a center as well as helped my mom(she has done in-home for 25 yrs).
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 3:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• The child is just dealing with seperation anxiety. All she's known is her mother and now all of the sudden she is being left. Over a little bit of time she will learn that its part of her routine and she will be okay. I did childcare and I noticed that children who stayed with parents all the time have a hard time adjusting to going to childcare. Its normal and it may take the child a couple of weeks to learn that its okay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2008