Are today's superheros bad roll models for your son?

At the latest American Psychological Association meeting, Professor Sharon Lamb announced the results of a study of boys 4-18 and their fictional media roll models.

The study concluded that the two most common media roll models for boys were slackers that avoided responsibility and violent heroes that were also womanizers. These new "darker" heroes are different from the classic comic book superheroes because the rarely show a vulnerable human side or talk about justice, peace or doing what is right for the world.

Do you agree? Who are your kid's fictional heroes? Do you think these heroes are bad or good influences?

Cafe Meghan

Asked by Cafe Meghan at 11:08 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Who are the super heros listed?

My 8 yr old likes batman, our other 2 don't really have an interest in Super heros...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:11 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Super heros were never meant to be a good role model. They were created for and by adults - they were the Adult Swim of the day they were created in... Now, do I see them as a good or bad influence? No, I don't see them as an influence... Children know they are not real - or they should - and there is no reason for them to ever see these things as real... YOU are your childs biggest influence, they will always be exposed to beliefs and ideas which may or maynot influence them for the worse... That's why it's up to YOU to be the best influence and not allow these other things to stick with them beyond the point of entertainment.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:20 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• LOL- it's my job to teach them the difference between fiction and reality, not the tv.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:33 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Children know they are not real,we as parents should always be an influence .
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 11:36 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• What about the girl superheroes? Those outfits are bad influences on both sexes, all ages! LOL!
    CarolBeazeman

Answer by CarolBeazeman at 11:36 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I agree with lovinangels. It's like when a person kills someone and society begins to wonder, is it because he listened to Black Sabbath, is it because she watched too many violent shows on TV? It's not about that. It's about doing your best to raise your child right. And sometimes you can do the best job you could possibly do, but the demon still emerges.

Now my 3 year old likes Spiderman, Superman and Batman, but he only knows their images (mainly from his undies and his PJs), he doesn't understand what they are about, what they do or what they represent. They are just something fun for him to look at.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Even though kids know its not real, do you think the aggressive behavior they see rewarded on screen, influences their actions in real life?

Cafe Meghan

Comment by Cafe Meghan (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Cafe Meghan, imo no they know it's just a movie.... Thats how my girls take it.. they are now 18 a sophmore in college & 20 a senior in college they go to the movies all the time.. We did as well when they were small...So it did not have an effect on our girls.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 11:51 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Well, I sensor what my kids watch, but I also make them realize that it is not real, nor okay f they see /hear something bad@!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:24 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My son knows the difference between real and fake. He loves Batman, spiderman, Ironman, and Captain America. He thinks superheros save the day and catch bad guys. It is funny though...b/c he is always talking that bad guys go to jail..just like Batman does with bad guys.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2010