Is it normal for an 8 month old to not sit by himself?

He has been crawling since he was 5 1/2 months.
he's pulling himself up and standing.
i will put pillows around him to help him sit but he won't sit still and will crawl all over.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't worry about "normal." He's mobile, so he probably feels like sitting is a waste of time.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 11:23 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Friends of ours have a son who crawled very early, but could not sit up unattended for several months later. Run it by your pediatrician if need be, but he should be fine. Enjoy!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:26 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• He sounds fine. He crawled very early, so you know he has the motor skills. He'll do it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:27 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• If he won't sit still I don't think you have anything to worry about, my dd crawled one day and then cruised along furniture. Never really crawled at all. All kids are different.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:34 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Once he's able to move around on his own, he's probably not going to want to sit. I'd still try to help him practice, like right after a nap while he is still waking up. lol. I'm sure he's fine. Plus, you could just ask the DR at his 9 month appt. :]
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• try to help him even if it's just for a few minutes a day, i use a boppy with my ds, play with him while in that position to keep him occupied so he won't get distracted and try to crawl away.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 16, 2010