brat?

so i have a fellow military friend and our daughters are both two. my daughter is very playful and happy and her daughter is just the opposite. Whenever we get together for play dates her daughter is a BRAT with a capitol B. she takes my daughters toys and pouts and throws hissy fits. my friend babies her and does'nt correct her bad behavior nor does she make her apologize. She has even bitten my daughter repeatedly and her mom does'nt really care. there has been moments ive wanted to literally slap the s#$t out of her mother for rewarding her bad behavior with candy and treats. How do i handle this situation? i recently stopped hanging with her and i think she senses that i do not want to be around her or her child.

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 11:25 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you already stopped hanging out with her...that's about all you can do. I have a friend that does the exact same thing. Her daughter is the same age as mine and had a bratty older brother. all they know how to do is scream and steal toys. The big brother even has pushed my daughter away when she was about 12 months old. That pissed me off. so without saying anything, I picked up my dd and we left. disappeared for a while. They got the hint and don't put up with as much shit as before b/c they saw what it did to people. sometimes, they just don't get it and need a wake up call.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:30 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• that's the only way to handle it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:27 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I would just refuse to go anywhere near her until she reigns in her child. If she were to ask, I would just say that you are not comfortable letting your child play with a child who has bad habits because you don't want your child to pick up on them.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:28 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Children need to have adults sit with them when they get together at these young ages so their play can be directed and things don't get out of hand. Children this young do not know how to share and play cooperatively yet. I agree that the candy and treats is out of line. The mother is trying to distract the child, I assume. That child needs love and understanding, needs to be redirected, and watched over for the biting. That mom needs to anticipate when the biting might happen out of frustraion and redirect the child. If you like this mom's companionship you need to suggest you all sit together when you visit. You moms can chat and you both can watch out for your child's best interest.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:34 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• If she does nothing about the fact that her child is biting and inflicting harm to another, I say she is not a person I would hang with. Move on and find a better friend.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:56 AM on Aug. 16, 2010