Biting!!!!

Can anyone tell me how to stop my 3 1/2 yr old DD from biting? Yesterday she left a perfect round bit mark on her brothers shoulder with perfect teeth bruises.

mommy2each

Asked by mommy2each at 11:29 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• children usually bite out of frustration . i would say you need to seperate the children fora bit if they are fighting or something. i would also beign swift action with time outs and possibly losing favored toys etc. something to really bring the message home its not acceptable
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:34 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Find the ONE thing she hates the most. For most toddlers, its losing their freedom. So pick a T.O. spot way away from any activity, tv, noise, interaction, toys, etc. and designate that as the T.O. spot. Give her random, constant reminders throughout the day that biting is naughty and it hurts, just to drive the message home, and that if she bites, she will go to T.O. immediately without warning. Be VERY consistent. Each time she bites, or goes in for a bite, take her straight to the T.O. spot. Remember, constant reminders and consistency is key.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Wow, I think you need to try to teach her to talk about her feelings rather than acting out like that. I have a 3.5yr old and an 18mo old, and the younger one is going through the biting stage right now, and my older son did it too when he was younger from about 9-18mo I would say, but not now, he knows it hurts people now. He would never bite at this age. Have you tried approaching it in terms of how it makes others feel? Like next time she bites put her on her lap and talk it out with her, ask her why she bit, get her to express that she was mad or frustrated. Then ask her how she thinks that made the other child feel, like sad, or whatever, and does she enjoy making others feel that way? Would she want someone to bite her because they got mad at her? Then explore other ways that she could have dealt with the situation. Like come get you, or talk it out with other child, etc. She's old enough to be able to understand now. GL
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:48 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Children generally want to please others, so when you put things in terms of the heart, it helps them understand. After you've talked it out like that, I would explain to her that it's unacceptable behavior and give her a time-out, take away her favorite thing, or give her a spanking, whatever you do. Best of luck! I'm dealing with this with my little one, but he can't really talk much yet and he's teething with molars so I think it's just an age thing more than a behavioral thing for him- I hope ;)
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:51 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Bit softly back, so she know it hurtsl,
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2010