• In the Spotlight:

Fattening meals for kids?

I know the basic foods that my kids like and will eat but I am supposed to "pudge them up" more. Since I'm trying to get a liking for cooking and I'm experimenting with new recipes there is no guarantee they'll like and eat what I make. Anyone know of any tried and true fattening foods that I can give them knowing there's a good chance they'll eat it?

I know it sounds ridiculous but it is what is. Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated!

firenicecream

Asked by firenicecream at 11:29 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Try making homemade mac and cheese, and sub out the milk for heavy cream
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:30 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• You shouldn't give them hi-fat, unhealthy foods. You could try a Carnation instant breakfast shake in the morning with a yogurt, strawberries and banana added. I give my bean-pole 15 year old son that with breakfast. I put the whole thing in the blender with ice.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:32 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• mac and cheese...but be very careful...just b/c you need to pudge them up a bit, don't go to crazy...you still need to think about cholesterol, high blood pressure and obesity at that age. you can use healthy fats....avocados, nuts (if they're old enough) just use whole milk instead of 2%, etc....do it gradually...that can be very unhealthy. I would seek the advice of your doc and do it the right way.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:33 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• You could also go to the health food store. and get some whole food protein powder...this is great to blend with greek yogurt, honey, peanut butter, bananas..

Try and stay away from chemical laden mixes. The body doesn't really absorb those "nutrients"
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:36 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Why are you trying to "pudge them up"?
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 11:41 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I do not think the OP was asking for "heart attack ionducing" foods lol geesh.
    Try avocado is high is good fats, mashed with some tomatoes and creme cheese, served with chips and a spinkle of cheddar cheese.
    cheeses with crackers are good, umm lemme think...brb gonna google lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:41 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• my daughter is 2 and is veryy tiny. her doctors suggest that i fatten her up as well. she loves anything with noodles in it. and ive noticed thats shes putting on a pound here an there. but absoultely pastas, or spagetti, oodles of noodles, macaroni etc. kids love noodles because there finger foods
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 11:44 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• ok everythign shot me to ads...some more calorie dense but still healthy options are things like whole wheat breads and whole wheat pastas, they have this stuff called "wacky mac" and its pasta made with veggies and whole wheat and its in fun colors and shapes, make mac and cheese with that. make the pasta then use a velveeta type cheese to melt and pour on top.this is a fun question-usually its weight loss.lol
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:46 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My DD very thin, one of the things my doctor recommended was to add real butter to all hot foods if possible, use whole milk, whole grain pasta with butter and peanut butter is her favorite,,, eww, i know
    He likes to add things so that when they reach a healthy weight its easy to discontinue without much trouble.
    Its worked for DD, she is 9, 4ft and 55lbs
    Simply0110

Answer by Simply0110 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• simply0110- I completely agree, its not hard to transition them back. so many are concerned with fat, but I think they look at it from a "be skinny , low fat" lifestyle for ADULTS. Kids need those fats!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2010