Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Me and My SO have ended our relationship.....but we are still going to live together

I just feel this is a bad idea, I'm currently working part time and finishing school. I am looking for another a partite job of just full time. While it is great that we wants to help he is just so angry that there is no way that we can even communicate more his part than mine. I just don't think i will be able to deal with this arrangement. It hurts too much to live in this manner. I know that he just wants to make sure that his daughter will be okay. He had the nerve to tell me that he would be my meal ticket till I finish school because he does not want to be responsible for me not finishing my education. Knowing how he feels makes me sick to my stomach I have no where to go and its my 2 girls and my mother. I just this is so F-Uped and i have to figure something out quick.. I've been applying for jobs for 2 wks already I hope something comes through fast.:(

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • Whatever you do, get a visitation order and child support order NOW! Even if you are still living together. He may be agreeable now but if anything changes, you want those things done before it gets nasty.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • If you have children together you can make him pay child support or even 'alimony' (you may not be 'married' but if you have kids together and were living together u could be common-law married and may have legal rights still) and he does not HAVE to live with you... i hope and pray that you can find a job soon but you really should finish school as well, its too hard to go back after the fact :( Good luck mama!

    Answer by DreainCO at 11:39 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • There is nothing wrong with this plan. Just be great full he is not a rotten bastard who is throwing you and your children to the curb.

    Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • Most Child Support Enforcement Offices will not allow you to establish CS without you living apart. You won't get alimony so, don't waste money trying, most states don't recognize "common-law marriage" and you have to be married for a long time to get alimony in the first place. You should get a custody agreement though because he can leave with your child and then get custody after he leaves. You'd be SOL then.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 11:44 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • Go get child support, and live separately. This is not going to be a healthy environment for you or your kids.

    Answer by Scuba at 11:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • I recommend what scuba says. & once you are apart, get child support.Hopefully,he'll cowboy up & not make this hard on you.Because the bottom line is your kids.Attorneys' are expensive.You can work this out in a civilized manner,without getting the courts involved.Good luck mama!!! : )

    Answer by bvannkissy at 12:16 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • The living situation may hurt you, but honesly I think your forgetting about your children... You having an education is good for your future and your kids' future. You have a man there who although has come to an end with your relationship is willing to stick by while you better yourself so that you can be good for your children. Also, living together may be hard for you, but living apart will be harder for your children. I would give anything to be in your situation. Instead, i'm raising my DD alone, I can't go to school because it will just take more time and money that I just don't have and my DD doesn't have her father... Try to think about your children. GL

    Answer by allfiller at 12:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • if your relationship is over, then move out. don't let him dictate to you how anything will be. he only gets to have an opinion if you two are actually trying to work things out. other than that, you figure out how to make it on your own and get the hell out of there - that is not good for you and your kids don't need to see you be treated like that. you may have to sacrifice your timeline but not your goal, but take care of this first.

    Answer by figaro8895 at 7:30 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • if its over then you need to cut him lose and move forward. this is only going to cause unnecessary drama

    Answer by 3xangel at 7:50 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
Feel Stuck!