at what age should a children be allowed to play outside alone?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:50 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• Depends on how long you're talking about, the neighborhood, and the environment (how near the street, is there a pool, etc.)
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Sadly this is a sign of the times.... many children do not play outside enough. As parents we are so paranoid that something will happen to them.

When I was a child I was allowed to play outside alone by at 4 or 5. (Alone being with my sister or neighbor kids that were about the same age.)
    My kids, however, were not. Probably by at 8 I allowed them to play outside with neighbor kids who's parents I knew. At 12 I was a little less worried. The kids have friends around our house now... but in the previous neighborhood none of the kids played out front, so it was backyard only until 12. We moved a couple of times and I will say that the biggest factor in letting them play outside was not their age so much as the neighborhood.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 11:57 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• For me....alone is never an option. My dd's are 16 and 19. They are never allowed to go away or be out alone. Safety in numbers.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Yeah i agree with the safety in numbers myself. Once mine were teens they at least had a cell on them in case something happened as well and they were to be in well lighted busy areas.
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• never. I wouldnt ever allow my childeren alone outside, if i had a fenced in yard maybe around the age of 7-9. but def. not any younger than that and it would have to be a highely secured fenced area
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 11:55 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Well that epends on the suroundings.. Our house has a 6 foot gate around the property... So my girls was out side in our yard they had swings, pool , a play house and our backyard has a inclosed patio so we could see them from our kitchen too. they where 4 & 51/ when we allowed them to go out.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 11:56 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Truly alone? Geez, mine are 26 and 22 and if they were outside, I'd still be checking after them! LOL. You can never be too cautious. My kids were older when they went outside to play with friends- around 10 or so. But, there was a always a big group of kids and we, as the parents, were always outside doing stuff around the house. When the kids were really little, their father or myself was always outside with them.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:56 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

My boys are 8 and 5 and play alone in our backyard. We have a patio off of our family room, then the kitchen off the family room. We are able to see the entire backyard. I can also see them from our kitchen when washing dishes. I love the set-up in our house. I do make them come inside when I have to go to the bathroom.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• When i was living out in a rural area, i would allow my boy who was 4 y/o out alone...he was only allowed near the house where i could see him though, when he turned 5 he could ride his bike around the yard a bit.. and when he was 6 he was allowed to roam freely around the 10 acres we lived on, his little brother could go out every now and then too.. now that we're in a city.. they don't go out unless one of us is outside with them... the city is pretty creepy.
    EveMomToThree

Answer by EveMomToThree at 12:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Back in the day you could roam freely outside your backyard, exploring, playing, dreaming....And now unfortunatly in the world we live in and all the fear people put on things, its no longer safe to allow children outside alone. In some situation and age of child I think it's ok, like if you have a fenced in yard, with no dangers of a pool or reachable lock on the gate. I wish I could allow my two out a lone but the area I live in is not safe and my yard isn't completely fenced in. Happy to weigh in on the issue :)
    inezmm2000

Answer by inezmm2000 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2010