is it ok if you do not take prenatal's during your pregnancy?

apr_grt

Asked by apr_grt at 1:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Are you asking because they make you sick? If so, you should try a different brand. Or try a multi-vitamin. It's really important in the very beginning to get all your vitamins and nutrients, especially the folic acid.
    alysmommy0909

Answer by alysmommy0909 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• you should take prenatal vitamins they are very important to the babies growth. if the ones you are taking make you sick try switching brands or take them at different times of the day like before you go to bed to prevent morning sickness.
    want2bamommy780

Answer by want2bamommy780 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I did not take pre-natal vitamins during my pregnancy. One reason was, they made me sick, and the second reason (for not taking a regular multi-vitamin) was that I am terrible at taking pills (hence me getting pregnant in the first place!)

I was sure to eat very healthy. A lot of chicken (grilled) and pork, along with a healthy amount of red meat. Lots of veggies, and my snacks for when I felt like I was starving were granola bars.

IMO, if you are eating healthy, and are normally a healthy person, you can get away with no prenatals. Me and the baby were just fine without them.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• If you feed yourself good (HEALTHY!) then you do not need to take any of that stuff.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Ask your doctor, sometimes the iron in the vitamins will make you sick. Just make sure your getting 800mg of folic acid everyday & eating healthy! what's bothering you about taking the vitamins? (not trying to be rude :) but if your more specific maybe you could get some more advice?)
    mizzmamma

Answer by mizzmamma at 2:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• my doc told me you can take flinstone vitamens for children but you have to take three a day. i love the flinstone ones!
    babykins362003

Answer by babykins362003 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• you need to, the baby is taking all your vitamins and calcium, EVERYTHING from you, so yes cut them in half and take them after you finish eating it is much helpfull then in the morning, on a empty stomach
    epy108

Answer by epy108 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• IM 5 MONTHS PREGNANT AND I HAVENT TAKENT THEM BECAUSE IM LAZY AND I FORGET. BUT WHEN I WENT IN FOR MY ULTRASOUND THEY SAID EVERYTINGS GREAT AND HES HANDSOME. SO I DONT THINK IM GOING TO WORRY ABOUT IT. AND I HAVE KNOWN LOTS OF GIRLS WHO HAVNT TALKEN THEM AND THEIR KIDS ARE FINE
    babygarciasmom

Answer by babygarciasmom at 4:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• i took them for like the first two months. But then i stopped.. i eat healthy i work out like 3-4 times a week i always talk with her and play with her [kinda] and shes very healthy!! Just take care of yourself and you wont have to take vitamins.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I don't take vitamins period. There is no need for them. If you eat even a semi-healthy diet you get more nutrients than you would from any vitamin. Your body doesn't break down the nutrients in vitamins well and therefore you don't get everything the bottle says is in the pills. I have a very healthy 2 year old son and am pregnant with another very healthy son. I honestly just cannot take vitamins and haven't basically my entire life and I am perfectly healthy.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2008