What is the difference between 3D and 4D ultrasounds? What will I see on my 3D ultrasound?

I have a 3D one scheduled for next week to find out the sex of my baby : ) I am so excited!

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 12:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• 3D shows the depth, width, and height of the baby, but without movement. 4D adds the time element, which is usually in a video.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Not to disagree with Micheledo, but I disagree lol. 2D ultrasounds are the normal black and white ultrasounds where as 3D are the ones where you get to see the sepia image. insurances also will cover the 3D ultrasounds when they are ordered by the doc, because these are sometimes used in high risk doctors offices. The 4D is the same as 3D except it's with a real time "video" of what is happening. If I didn't word it right you can check out this website.... http://www.3dultrasounds.com/
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• 3D are the normal ultrasounds everyone gets. They are the black and white ones. The 4D actually gives you an image of their skin, face, etc. It is much more realistic and doesn't show the baby's skeleton. They are usually printed in sepia. 3D ones are covered by insurance usually, and a 4D one costs extra unless it is for a medical reason.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:49 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Both are 3 dimensional,4D is a little clearer

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Thanks MamaSarah1104. I didn't realize that. Although it doesn't really make sense, because even a 2D ultrasound has movement. They just don't record a video of it! So basically what you are saying is that if they only print out photos it is 3D and if they give you a video it is 4D? Cause the actual process is the same?
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• micheledo: I was sort of wondering that too, about 3D being only print pictures...and 4D being movement. But from what I read on the internet that is right. Doesnt make much sense though.

Guess I will find out soon :)
    mom2twobabes

Comment by mom2twobabes (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010