At what age do you let your child go to a public bathroom by themselves?

My son is 6 and I will not let him go in by himself. My friend tells me he is old enough. I take him to the womens bathroom with me instead. Am I just being paranoid and overprotective?

beaniesmommy04

Asked by beaniesmommy04 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• You are doing fine. My boys didn't go to public bathrooms alone until they were 12 or so and even then I told them to look in there first and tell me if it was empty.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I don't think so. I don't let my 6 y/o go by himself either, he's also afraid to go in there by himself so I don't push it. Usually around 7 or 8 is when my kids felt confident enough and I felt comfortable letting them go in by themselves. Don't ever worry about being too cautious with things like this.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 12:59 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• It depends on which public we are in...If its a small resturant or somewhere they're familiar then they are allowed to go alone, together (my girls are 6 and 9). If its a new place or a large crowd I go with them.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My son is 3 and he comes to the bathroom with me but he likes to be a "big boy" and uses his own stall while I stand outside.
    Tab2

Answer by Tab2 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Mine are 5 & 3 and I don't let them go alone/.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My oldest is 6 and I still make him come into the woman's restroom if daddy is not with us.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• my daughters 6 and she wont go alone..which is fine, because if i wanted to i could pee every 5 minutes anyways, so i always take the option to go to the bathroom..LOL..my nephew is 7.5, and he JUST started going in by himself..but someone is waiting for him outside..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My son is 4 and I'm taking my time when he gets old enough to go on his own to the boy restroom by hisself. But when he is in the restroom with me he has his own stall and I have mine. Before I go to my stall I'll ask him to lock his door and he does. And then I go to the restroom. So my advice to you is to take ur time if u think he is ready then tell him make sure used the bathroom and dry off. You can stand right next to Men bathroom and wait until ur son comes out of the bathroom and u can even call out to him to make sure he is all right. Or u can wait until he is little older for him to go by hisself.
    andmaef28

Answer by andmaef28 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• NEVER. Kids of all ages have been hurt/kidnapped from pubic bathrooms.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• maybe it depends on the crime level in your area. my kids go at 5 and 6. i was nervous the first time, but i was standing in line at the checkout, so i couldn't be right outside the door.
    i really think unless you are in a high crime area, or your child has special needs that a 12 year old boy is way too old to use the women's restroom.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2010