what do you think of the government assisted cell phones?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 12:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No way. A person can buy a $15 virgin mobile phone and put $20 on it and get 200 minutes. That's like my MIL living in government assisted housing and she gets free cable. Irritating.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:03 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I am completely against. Any discarded cell can reach 911, which is what I believe should be provided (and are provided through many groups such as domestic violence shelters). Anything more is not a necessity, it is a luxury.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I think it's wrong. I can see helping people out with necessities, but a cell phone is not a "need" My husband works hard to provide things for our family (cell phones included) and if we couldn't stretch his paycheck to cover a cell phone, we would just go without.

Answer by missanc at 1:00 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Cell phones are not a necessity and should not be paid for by the government.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 1:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I think it is wrong and a waste of money. If you get food stamps and other types of government aid, you can get home phone service for $2.00 a month. Having a cell phone is a luxury. I pay my cell and home bill with no government assistance, and don't think tax dollars should be wasted on cell phones.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 1:03 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I'm all for those programs that give old cells that can dial 911 to people in need. But more? It's completely wrong.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 1:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• It seems to be an unecessary luxury,in my opinion.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I think its a waist to time its just another expense hard working families have to pay for and many can't even afford them for themselves or their families. To have someone receive a cell phone under those circumstances is disgusting. Cells are not a necessity to life and are not a means under which the government should provide. But that's my opinion and I am open to hearing others points of veiws on why they should be allowed. Maybe they no something more and maybe it makes since to them.
    Marylois

Answer by Marylois at 1:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• ."Cell phones are not a necessity and should not be paid for by the government. "

From Safelink Wireless' website:

"SafeLink phones are not paid for by taxpayers or the federal government. TracFone Wireless pays for the phones and also the cost of promoting its SafeLink program to make sure that eligible consumers know about the program."

In case you didn't see it, let me reiterate: SAFELINK PHONES ARE NOT PAID FOR BY TAXPAYERS OR THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

Thank you.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 1:26 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• What a waste. You don't really get many minutes and it costs up a whole hell of a lot out of our taxes
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2010