What would you do?

I have always had the desire to start my own business and have tried many different ideas, but no-one ever seems to show an interest in them.

These are things I think would be beneficial, but apparently not.

For example, I tried some of these ideas:
-Eco friendly products
-Work from home business directory
-Babysitting
-Web page development
-Ebay store

Those are a few I have tried.

My heart is truly into marketing, virtual/computer based design and such.

What should I do? Keep trying my ideas or just give up on the dream that is most likely not going to happen?

What are some things people NEED and WOULD be interested in?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 1:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• Education is key! You have to know how to start up and run a business, even if it's on a shoestring. You also can't take rejection personally. It's totally not, all a person is saying is that isn't right for me right now. If you give up before you've given it your all for a year then you aren't ready to have your own business. I'm not saying going indebt, but working outside of your comfort zone will be a must. You can't be worried about how people think of you or if they are tired of hearing about what you're doing. You just keep working your business! I have a network marketing business that is adult toys and lingerie. it's women only at the parties and I make decent money when I'm working my business. Even in the down economy everyone loves sex. ;) plus you get to market yourself and help others build their careers. Hope you find a good fit for you!
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 1:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• What's your education? Do you have a degree in marketing? Or in web design? or in business management?

Trying to get a new business off the ground in this economy is tough - and especially tough without all the right tools.

Hope you find the right thing!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:16 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• www.sba.gov is a great place to get started. Lots of free education there. :)
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 1:22 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I would keep trying but remember the economy is tough right now so it would take time. What r some of ur ideas right now?
    andmaef28

Answer by andmaef28 at 1:24 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• If you're skilled at designed, build yourself a portfolio and start a desktop publishing company.

I'm a small business owner myself and it is tough, especially in the beginning. There are a lot ot excellant small business books you can read. And take advantage of the advice you can get from SCORE or local small business organizations. I left you an invite in your chatterbox for my business group. Many of the members are small business owners and most of us are in the start-up phase, so you can lean on us for support if you want.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I have education in the fields, but not a college education. More or less I have done freelance. I don't honestly see the value in a college education as it isn't helping ANYONE I know one bit. I know waitresses with bachelors degree's in various fields.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My latest idea was the work from home directory... but everyone who looked at the idea said it sounded "sketchy". I gave my website a few months and finally said to hell with it. :(

I also considered a local advertisement paper, but I have no real base for it such as a theme or whatnot. We have a local county shopper (free ads to sell stuff and they sell paid ads also - give paper away for free), we have coupon books already, etc... so I have no genuine idea of what I would base mine off of for distribution.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2010