Potty Training a Non talker!!!!

My daughter in now 2yrs old and i thinks its time to potty train. I plan on sending her to a head start program next year... The problem: She doesnt talk. Ive tried making her ask for things, saying what she wants, everything. I know she can because Dora, Diego, & Kai-lan get the answers they ask for(sometimes).... She refuses to talk to me or anyone else for that matter.

Zarviemom19

Asked by Zarviemom19 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would worry less about the potty and more about a 2 year old who can't talk. Head start won't take her if she doesn't talk, and indeed will tell you to have her checked out. Just because she can say a few things doesn't mean she's ok. I wish you good luck!
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:23 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I would be more concerned about trying to get her to talk at this point than potty training. How old is she? You say two, but an early 2 year old who doesn't say much probably isn't ready. She needs to exhibit some readiness signs...including either asking or doing a sign-language type movement for asking to go potty.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:23 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• very easy, you know she's going to have to go potty when she firsts wake up, so take her there and show her the sign for toilet (put your thumb between your pointer finger and middle finger like the "I got your nose' thing and then move your hand from side to side) re-itterate that sign when she goes potty. Use a reward system like stickers on a chart. Look for cues, my daughter will fuss when I try to put her diaper on her if she wants to sit on the potty. You know she'll have to go potty within a half an hour after eating a meal (usually) and always have her try to go potty before nap/bed times. Non verbal potty training is just as easy as with a child who talks a lot.
    FYI: I would look into a speach therapist with your headstart program.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 1:26 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• You don't need a verbal child to teach potty use. elimination communication: diaper free
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Our Headstart takes kids that have speech issues.Get the speech under control first,the potty training can follow.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2010