Strep B/ medication question..

Okay.. so I went to my doctors last week & she did a urine & vag swab & told me I had vaginosis & put me on flagyl 2x a day, then they called & left a message on my phone saying I had tested positive for strep B & I needed to go onto stronger antibiotics & that they had called in a prescription for me. I went to my pharmacy & I didn't have a prescription so I called my Doctor and she put me on penacillin 500mg 4x a day for ten days and a creme to put in at night & then a yeast infection pill to take 1 time.... I'm confused about the creme & pill and have not taken them.. it seems a little extreme to me & I'm afraid of putting to much medication in my body.. I also haven't herd of anyone needing antibiotics until labor for strep b... I tested negative for it last time also... does anyone have any advice? I want to see a different doctor but I have FAMIS so my options are limited on care..

mizzmamma

Asked by mizzmamma at 2:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It sounds like you may have an actual infection and are not a "carrier" of GBS. Carriers are not harmed by GBS, but their children can be at birth, that is the reason for the antiboitics. If you tested neg before and are pos now...you may have picked it up and have an active infection.
    Anonymous

• Yes, im sorry you are so confused ,but yes you should ask the doc again to explain it to you, but you should definitly take the meds, and while you on the antibiotics, eat a yogurt a day, it helps balance your PH......
    epy108

Answer by epy108 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I also tested postitive for strep b when I was prego and I asked about being put on antibiotics early and my dr. said that until my water broke there was no need to worry about it because the baby cannot contract anything until the water breaks at that time antibiotics will need to be administered within 24 hrs. Luckily I was induced and they started the antibiotic before they broke my water and kept giving it to me until she was born. I'd get a 2nd opinion or double check with your dr. Good luck and congratulations!!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 4:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2008