TV under 2?? Yes or no?

So has anyone asked their doctor about the "physicians recommendation for NO TV or kids under 2?" Is this a little much? I was wondering how much TV you let your 7 month old watch? I typically used to just put the news on in the morning then maybe a little sesame street, then it's turned off for the day until about 5 or 6 he only sees a little bit until he goes to bed... is this okay or should I cut it out completely??? That would be SO hard.

Deanna2426

Asked by Deanna2426 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's fine. You are the mommy. Do what works for you.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:49 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Our TV is always on.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 1:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• both my kids have always watched tv. babies enjoy the movement and bright colors, and you can put on educational cartoons like little einstines, wonder pets, stuff like that. my dd is 5 has watched tv since she was 6 months and is still very active. my ds is almost 5 months and he loves to watch the cartoons (for a while) there is nothing wrong with a little tv now and then. just make sure it's not the only thing your baby does.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 1:52 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• TVs are always on in our house.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 1:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My kid has played in the living room with the tv on since birth. He doesn't have any crazy issues from it. I see nothing wrong with it unless they zone out or lose themselves in it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I did almost the exact same schedule as you and sometimes all day. You have to do things for yourself to stay sane. if i went without tv all day or any less then what i did i would have gone insane.
    Mom2Mikayla07

Answer by Mom2Mikayla07 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My DH and I are trying to cut back for the baby (6mo) and for our marriage. We have the no t.v from 8am til 8pm. The baby is awake from 6:15 am until about 7:30pm. This allows us to watch the morning news and spend time as a couple watching tv/movies together. We also have a DVR so it's not really that hard. lol
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 2:42 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I say no, no, no.....but sometimes I just need a minute to start the laundry, start the dishwasher, and throw back a cup of coffee. Thank you clifford! I do try to pick things that require a longer attention span. In theory, things like sesame street creat short attention spans due to random spurts of subjects. But you're the mommy;)
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 3:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• So many kids have grown up watching some TV since infancy (including me), that I think there are worse things out there for kids. And the educational shows might be able to teach them something. But in our house, we don't turn on the TV until after DS is asleep. I'm pretty comfortable without TV. And I'd rather have him spend his time playing. I think the 0hrs TV until 2 recommendation is because of studies that show that babies learn more and differently in 3-D rather than 2-D. What really matters for life-time success is how you think, not whether you memorized a few words a month earlier than your peers. Kids learn how to think better with the TV off. Plus, there is a correlation between TV and ADHD, and also between TV and excess weight.

But, having a happy mom is also VERY important for a baby. :) There are so many ways we moms may or may not screw up our kids... just do your own research and use your best judgement!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• dont sweat it!!! my babies watched baby einsteins 2x a day @ that age!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:16 PM on Aug. 16, 2010