My husband can't agree on who to have as my daughters godparents. anyone we could agree on doesn't work for us because they are too far from the rest of our families. to us if something was to happen to us our daughter is going to need the love and support from all family. has anyone else come across this and what did you do to come to decision?

Mom2Mikayla07

Asked by Mom2Mikayla07 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why not have both parties as godparents? Then you have double the backup! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I love the tradition of God parents... but if you pass it is not a legal form. I dont believe they would "automatically" go to the Godparents. So you choose who you WANT as Godparents and make sure to do a will so that all your bases are covered legally in case of the worse.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 1:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My niece has 4 godparents, my one son has 3, so there's no reason you couldn't have more than 2.

But what do you consider the duties/responsibilities of godparents? The people who are my kids godparents are not the people who we've designated as guardians if something were to happen to us, nor are the 4 people who are my niece's godparents her potential guardians.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• WE HAVE 4 CHILDREN AND ONE ON THE WAY. MY SISTER IS ALL MY KIDS GODMOTHER AND MY BROTHER IS THEIR GODFATHER. AS MY HUSBAND ONLY HAS A SISTER AND SHE DIDN'T WANT THE TASK AND THE FACT MY HUSBAND AND HIS SISTER CAN'T STAND ONE ANOTHER. I ALSO FELT THAT MY FAMILY AND MY HUSBAND AGREED WAS 100% MORE STABLED TO TAKE CARE OF OUR CHILDREN SHOULD SOMETHING HAPPEN TO US. AND THE ALSO RESPECT OUR VALUES.
    MOMMYOF4ALMOST5

Answer by MOMMYOF4ALMOST5 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• The purpose of godparents is to make sure the child is raised in the faith you are baptizing him/her in. If you are concerned about who will have custody of your children in the event of a serious accident/illness you should state that clearly in your will keeping in mind that the courts like it to be a family member if at all possible. Is there a family member that you trust to do right by your child?? That is who you should pic - and make it legal as well as spiritual!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:02 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My husband and I would like her godparents to be her guardians should anything happen to us
    Mom2Mikayla07

Comment by Mom2Mikayla07 (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I agree with morgain 100% when we selected godparents for our girls is was made clear and we have a legal document in place that supports it ..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 2:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• we are actually trying to figure out who we want her guardians to be so that we can put our will together.
    Mom2Mikayla07

Comment by Mom2Mikayla07 (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• You pick your childs Godparents by who you can trust and/or have a strong relationship with. So with that said it shouldn't matter how far they live, just that they would care for your child in the best way.
    inezmm2000

Answer by inezmm2000 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• A Godparent does NOT become the legal guardian. That person still needs to be named in a WILL!! If no guardian is named in a will, then it's a free for all, or your children could even become wards of the state.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2010