What else can I do since nothing else works????

Ok, first of all, I am a mother who believes in spanking her children. So, if that poses a problem and you wanna start bashing on me, hike your ass back outta here 'cause I'm not going to stand for any bashing.

I am at my wits end. Srsly. My kids, particularly my daughter and my youngest son, keep doing the same damn things (raiding the fridge in the middle of the night, going into my room & messing with stuff, etc.) and no matter WHAT I do (spank, ground them, put them in the corner, talk to them, give them bedtime snack, etc.) NOTHING works. I need to get a fridge lock ASAP yeah, but what can I do to get it through their heads to not do this stuff?! My daughter even raided the fridge again a little bit ago and thought I wasn't looking!!!! Audacious little twerp! What can I do??? I have tried everything I can think of and nothing is working and I need ideas FAST!!

PaganMommy04

Asked by PaganMommy04 at 1:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• OMG OMG< if you figure this out let me know! I havae tried spanking timeout, everything and my 2 almost 3 year old still does this stuff!!!!
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 2:00 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Are they hungry? My kids have never once even opened the fridge. Tell them to ask you if they want a snack.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Take away EVERYTHING in their room except for their bed, pillow, blanket, and book. Take away everything from anywhere else in the house that they enjoy playing with. Tell them they will eventually get their things back as they show respect for you and start doing a better job of behaving. Good luck:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 2:02 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Just one idea..........do they get enough one on one time with you and DH, both together and separately? Lots of times kids go for the negative attention if they can't get positive attention. And hopefully they are getting enough praise and positive reinforcement when they do things right.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:02 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Nevermind, we are talking 3-4 yr olds. What I suggested usually works with older kids. As for Preschoolers, I have no idea, sorry.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 2:03 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Do you make them breakfast, lunch and dinner, and provide them with a healthy snack or two each day? Sounds like your children are hungry! What are they eating out of the fridge...is it junk food or a piece of fruit? If it's junk food, I would stop buying it, and if it's fruit, I don't see the harm!

As for your bedroom, put a simple eye hook/latch lock at the top of your door, to keep them out, and instead of spanking them every time, take something away from them--TV time, favorite toy, favorite junk food snack, no more fast food for a week...whatever....until it sinks in that your things are off limits.

Do you play with them throughout the day? They could be just trying to get your attention too....any attention is better than nothing! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:03 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I had to finally put gates up where they couldn't climb over (gate on top of a gate... no lie.. lol) and block the friggin hallway!

I also had to make it to where they couldn't open the fridge!

My last house had a big red stain in the floor from the kids getting into the V8! UGH!

I ended up making the fridge off limits to everyone but mommy and daddy now so they know they aren't allowed in it ata ny cost.. night or day.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Do they get regular snacks? Maybe they are hungry? It sounds like they have no respect for you & what you say. That's a bigger issue than having them raid the fridge.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Yeah, like I said, I give them snacks plus they also get really good food from daycare and then on the weekends when they're not at daycare I still give them snacks and full, filling meals and even try giving them a snack before bedtime so that they don't have a reason to wake up to get into the fridge, but that doesn't even work.

My BF and I play with them A LOT and we have a lot of fun together. I try to use positive reinforcement for when they do good things, but even that doesn't really work, though to be honest from my end, I could definitely work on stepping up the praise.

My daughter (she's 4) is particularly defiant and my youngest is CONSTANTLY calling my "bluffs". For instance, I just sent him to his room for disobeying me and asked him if I needed to close his door 'cause of his fit-throwing. He just stared at me & wouldn't answer, even when I said that if he didn't answer me, I'd close his door anyway.........
    PaganMommy04

Comment by PaganMommy04 (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• .....And, as he always does, he glared at me defiantly despite my warning, so I closed his door. THEN he started hollering and bawling and asking me to open the door back up. He got out of his toddler bed, stomped over to the door and kicked it! I went back in there and, for the billionth time, reminded him that I had asked him a simple question which he had refused to answer, so rather than getting to pick from the options given, I picked for him.

I swear, I try just about everything that I see Super Nanny do and it just DOES NOT work on my kids. -_- Oy.
    PaganMommy04

Comment by PaganMommy04 (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Aug. 16, 2010