What should I do?

I left my husband yesterday and when he called me today he said he was going to kill himself today. He has threatened it before. And one time even filled his mouth with tylonol but spit it out.. He wont answer his phone or his email now. Should I call the police? I don't want to make it worse for him by calling them, but i'm worried.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• And to just add, if this is just a ploy of his to get you to stay, calling the cops might make him think twice the next time he threatens suicide.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 2:06 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Yes, call them and tell them what he has said. Better safe than sorry. So sorry you are going through this:(
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 2:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Just so ya know if he's seriously a threat to himself they will hold him w/ a psych hold for 72 hrs & assess him for real suicidal ideations vs just trying to get you to pay attention to him. You aren't a trained suicide preventor, call the cops & let the pros do their job.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Yes call the police. Hopefully it was just an emotional outburst. He needs to understand that when a person makes a threat like that, everyone is going to take it seriously. Good luck and stay safe
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 2:06 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I would call the police and tell them I was concerned for his welfare.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• FWIW I'm pretty sure it'd take a WHOLE lot more than a mouth full of tylenol to do any harm (unless he's allergic to it). Definitely call the police, you're decision on if you should call 911 or not. Clearly he needs some mental help.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:15 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Call the police. They will go and check on him and even break down the door if necessary.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:20 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Truthfully? I'd ignore him. People that talk about suicide aren't the ones who do it. It sounds like he's trying to manipulate you. His well being is NOT your responsibility, it's his. I guess that sounds harsh, but my guess is that he will continue to worry you about this sort of thing until you stop giving him the reaction he wants.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• yeah i would call the police just to make sure that he is ok & i am sorry to hear that :-(
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2010