Who else is against adult seat belts??

I totally think it is necessary to buckle in your children. But for me, I hate the dang things! I had a good friend die in a car accident. He was gong estimated less than 14 miles per hour. 4 people total in the car. All wearing seat belts. The car hit a ditch on the side of the road...maybe a foot deep. My friends belt came undone, he flew out of the car through the window hit his head on a rock. Died instantly. Everyone else walked away without a scratch on their body. No one can tell me he just wasn't meant to die that day. I have heard the argument "the car had a defect in the seat belt" and though that may be true they were only going less than 14MPH. I have seen exactly where the car crashed. It looks like if you veered off the road into it you could back up out of it, no problem. I only wear them to set a good exapmle for my kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do wear mine, but I don't think that personal safety issues for grown adults should be legally mandated.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I feel for you and the lose of your friend, but think of this: Had he not been wearing his seatbelt, the same thing would have happened.

I do agree that sometimes they can do more harm than good (internal bleeding and things of that nature) but the majority of the time they save lives, and for the sake of my daughter, I wear mine so her mommy can come home to her every night.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I buckle up every time. I do not start my car if not everybody is buckled up - its against the law too.

Other than that. I love every single seat belt, I cherish this invention. My brother would have died a terrible death if there were no seatbelts.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• What about all the stories about when a seat belt saved a life? My ex was in a car accident, he was making a left turn across a highway and it was foggy and a semi without his lights on came and hit him on the drivers side. Had he not been wearing his seat belt, he would have been killed. The seat belt broke his collarbone, but that's a lot better than dead. I personally think it's irresponsible and selfish of adults that don't wear it. What happens if you're in a wreck and killed because you weren't wearing your seat belt? Then your kids are left without a parent because the seat belt "bugged" you and you didn't feel like wearing it. It's pretty close to suicide in my book.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I buckle up for saftey and because I don't want to get a ticket.. because I hate seatbelts

Answer by louise2 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Ok, I'm sorry, but WHY exactly would you be "against" seat belts? That's like being "against" helmets for motorcyclists. I can see how maybe you would disagree with making them a legal necessity, or how you may choose not to wear one for whatever reason (comfort..) - but to be anti-seatbelt? Just sounds moronic. The statistcs are out there for everyone to see, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that wearing one (that was not defective) could keep you from being launched out of the car. Yes, they can cause broken ribs and whatnot, but I'll take a cracked rib over instant death anyday.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Oh I forgot to mention that I believe in fait. When it is your time it is your time. So yes, he would have died either way. It was his time. So I guess the question is what is the point. I think if I am meant to die in a car accident I will wheather I am weraing it or not.
    Anonymous

• An unrestrained person in the vehicle is also a danger to the other people in the car. Your child might be safely buckled in, but if your body goes flyinig around in the vehicle during an accident you could seriously injure them. The same goes with unrestrained cargo like groceries. So even if you don't like the seatbelts, you should take into consideration the danger you put the people riding with you in.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 2:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• And like I said...I wear it to set an example for my kids. I dont wear it for me.
    Anonymous

• Ok, you believe in fate, but as the saying goes, "why tempt fate??"
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2008