help my boys wont stop screaming

i have a one year old son and a two year old and all they do is scream i dont carrie them a lot and dont spoil them but if your not in there face they scream any ideas of how to stop it to start to calm them down. im about to pull my hair out and dont know what to do

faith86

Asked by faith86 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• drink...... :) ok seroiusly.. I would just cry
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• They are looking for any kind of attention you are giving them at this point. My 2 yr old son throws some nice tantrums, and sometimes just screams (not because he is mad, just to be noisy LOL) so my 10 month old has picked that up, to hear himself. But honestly, the best thing to do is IGNORE the negative behavior. Don't even put them in time out, as that is still giving them attention. Simply ignore the fit and walk away, into the next room. Some kids take longer than others, but the daily or numerous daily screaming fits will stop.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Are they tired? Hungry? Needing you to sit down with them and take a break?

A one & two year old are NOT going to occupy themselves. The 2 y/o MIGHT if alone for 15 minutes, but may be overstimulated with the screaming of the one y/o. I feel for you. My friend has kids 2 years apart and that first year was CRAZY just trying to survive on little sleep. For you having a 1 & 2 y/o, it's like twins, except one can walk right after you give birth to the second one. I can't imagine....

I know that sometimes when I hear moms say that "I don't carry/spoil them", that they think if they are giving ANY attention, then they are spoiling. But they do need to be nurtured and comforted. When they are feeling secure, it will be easier....eventually. Right now, try to get yourself some help, even if it's a friend or neighbor coming to tend to them while you clean, or do dishes while you tend to them. Good luck, Mama!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:52 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I agree with previous posters. Also... Boys i've read have the need to be outdoors. I think the book said atleast 30 min. Just let them soak in the peace of the outdoors in the morning sometime. You will see a noticeable difference. I hope you have that available to you. Otherwise, perhaps more trips to the park?

Also, every time you "catch" their good behavior, such as sitting for a moment looking at a book, say "good job. You're playing so nicely, etc..." Or reward them in some way. I think if you get the eldest reined in, the little one will be more at ease. Good luck to you.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 6:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2010