Best time to have a second baby?

I was just wondering what you all think is the best spacing between kids?? Pros and cons?? I have a 18 month old and am thinking about getting prego.....

LandonsMa0403

Asked by LandonsMa0403 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• There is 5 1/2 years between my first and second, and 20 months between my 2nd and 3rd. My youngest is now 5. If I were going to do it again, I would have them about 2 years apart. It's harder when they're younger, but as they've gotten a little older they are the best of friends and sooooo close. With my older one, it was easier when she was 5 and my 2nd was a baby because she could help out, but they don't really play together and the oldest is just bossy to the younger ones, in her defense, the younger ones get in her stuff sometimes, but if they were closer in age they would play together more.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My son was exactly 2 and a half when my daughter was born. The spacing felt perfect for me. He was old enough to understand what was going on, he wasn't self sufficient, but he could feed himself after being served and understood enough to be okay with waiting for something while I was nursing. He wasn't so old that he was "used" to being the only child. It got even better as he got closer to three. Now he is 4 and she is 22 months, and they play together - he can't remember a time when he didn't have a sister. (so, yea, we started right around when you're thinking of trying)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I was a Psychology major and a Sociology minor in college and we were told that the best spacing for teh children's development is 5 years because it helps cut down on sibling rivalry etc...Like they are not close enough in age to be doing the same things ata the same time and the parents don;t usually force the older sibling to take the younger sibling out with their friends etc. I know in my family kids are all 1-2 years apart and they all fought constantly until well into their teens. IDK...just what I was taught LOL
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 3:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I have 3 kids. My oldest and middle are 8 years apart, my youngest and middle are 2.5 years apart. The older 2 fight more than the younger 2. The 3 and 5 year old are very close. I think 2.5 years is a great age difference. They play together nicely.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• ^^ I am sorry but 5 years?? my oldest sister and i are 4 years apart and my youngest sister and i are 6 years apart.... in my opinion we fought the MOST!!! we really didnt understand what was going on in eachothers lives and i remember hating my little sister when she came home because it use to be all about me i have another sister who is 2 years older than i am and we got along the best when we were younger now of course we all get along...i would say 2-3 years My hubby and i are going to start trying when our son turns 3. BUT if you and your DH are ready... i say go for it. besides even if you get pg right away they will be a little over 2 years apart...GL
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My kids are 5 years 2 months apart, and it works out great for us. Only one was in diapers at a time. By the time the second was born, the first was pretty independent. I had a few years of actual sleeping so I had a little more energy for the second round of sleepless nights. I also had read that spacing should be either before 2 or after 5 to reduce sibling rivalry.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:41 PM on Nov. 6, 2008