Would you feel bad or would you be angry?

My family was planning a family reunion with just my side of the family because it was the first time all my sisters and my brother would be together in over 20 years. My mother inlaw came over just before I was about to leave for the reunion, she kept hinting about going too. I just pretended that I didn't hear her and she left. The next day I invited her to go to the track with some people in my family and she said no because she was upset about not being invited to the party, I tried to explain to her, but she hung up the phone on me. We have not talked to her in over a week, I feel so annoyed with her. Why does she think that she would be invited to everything?

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 2:22 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• I think it was rude to ignor her. But it was childish of her to be upset about not being invited.

If your side of the family is having a reunion that does not automatically mean she should be invited.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 2:23 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I guess I'm having a hard time wondering why she couldn't go in the first place. Just one extra person, she is a part of your family.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 2:23 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I wouldnt feel bad or be angry. Just give her some time to get over it, it sounds to me like she is just being immature about the whole thing.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 2:24 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• That stinks. It's not even her family, she shouldn't be so immature about it. It's not like it was a family reunion for your hubby's family.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 2:24 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I guess I don't understand why she wouldn't be invited? She acted childishly, but I'm of the opinion that family reunions can include extended family as well.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• shanlaree, she's an attention hog, she drives my sisters crazy, that would not be fair to them to bring
    staceynoel

Comment by staceynoel (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Where is her son, your husband, in the mix? Shouldn't he tell his mother it wasn't her place to go, it was for you and your family and siblings. Just my opinion.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:26 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I'd feel not bad nor angry. I'd be sorry for her, that -at her age- she behave so childish. If you're not invited you're not invited. That's the way it is. You even explained to her what's the nature of this reunion and that's it. If she want to pout for a bit, there's nothing you can do about it.
    Treat her like you always did. Kindly, with respect, move on. It's done and over with.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 2:26 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Ignoring might have been a little rude but I don't understand why she would think that she was invited to your side of the family's family reunion. I wouldn't feel bad for it or be angry about it. Just give her some time to cool off and then try to talk to her again.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 2:26 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I think I would have acknowledged her desire to attend but held firm that this was for your family only
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 2:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2010