stupid question, maybe..

we have fairly plush carpet in half of the rooms of our rental. our vacuum is 'old', but with a new bag and cleaned brush/roller, it sucks pretty well. problem is, my carpel-tunnel kills me when i vacuum..is it the thicker carpet, making it harder to push the vacuum? or would a new vacuum glide easier, so i'm not forcing my forearms to work harder?
(our vacuum doesn't have a height-adjuster.)
if a new vacuum is the answer, any suggestions? (i don't want to spend tons of $$, since its only four rooms, and when we re-purchase in a year, we don't plan on having any carpeted rooms.)

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 2:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We just bought the bottom of the line Electrolux at Lowes- it's a great little vacuum and very light weight. It works very well on wall to wall, tile, stone and hardwood. Not so great on area rugs- I also have a top of the line older Electrolux-it works great on everything. Like you, we are also renting a house that has carpet- the house we own does not, and we likely will not buy another home with carpeting-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I bought a refurbished Dyson vac from a vac store in town for $185. But if you aren't planning on having carpet at your new home then I would probably get a Dirt Devil or something comparable for about $40.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:29 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i would see a chiropractor for that carpal tunnel!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I use an Electrolux, love it, but not sure it would help you or not it's a canister & pricey. They also have a small canister.There are dirt devils on sale off & on you might find something along that line. Sears, Lowes, Kohl's. We bought 1 at a resale shop for $30.00 for my DD works great.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• figure out what you would be willing to spend on a vacuum and then read reviews on vacuums in your price range.
    Mom2Mikayla07

Answer by Mom2Mikayla07 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• You should have an option on your vacuum for different length pile.  So start by making sure your vacuum is on the right setting, whichwill make a big difference if it is not.   If that doesn't work then get a self propelled vacuum.

Also get yourself a wrist immobiliser that will help a lot too.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:07 AM on Aug. 17, 2010