Why did my hair get darker???

I naturally have light brown hair and during the summer months if I dye it I usually use a blonder shade and will go back to darker shade in the winter months. My question is sometimes when I go to lighten my hair it actually gets darker using a lighter shade. Does anyone know why this happens?

atoney3

Asked by atoney3 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• Are you using a box color from the store and doing it yourself? And if so, that's why. You're not accually using a lightener, your using a color. Email me if you have more questions.
    Mrs_Bonsta

Answer by Mrs_Bonsta at 1:45 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• If you are using an ash blonde and your hair is overprocessed then it will grab that ash color and make it darker. Also, you cant dye your hair brown and then lighten it with a lighter color. Color doesnt lighten colored hair. It has to be bleached. I've been a hairdresser for 18 years. PM me if want to ask me anything.
    diadice

Answer by diadice at 9:45 AM on Oct. 8, 2008