help! how do i put my daughter in her own bed??

My daughter is a year old and has been sleeping in my bed since she was born and I need her to sleep in her own bed. She freaks out and cries and I try to let her cry it out but I feel so guilty! Any suggestions??? Help!

mommyjouks

Asked by mommyjouks at 2:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you have to get over the guilt or let her sleep with you. you could rock her to sleep in your arms and put her in her own bed. otherwise you will become one of the other parents that sleep on the floor and creep to the door in the middle of the night bc GASP! their kids will cry if they sleep alone. your child will get used to sleeping alone in her bed, you just have to hold your ground. keep a routine like bath then a book and sleep.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I had to stay strong and it took a few miserable nights to get my daughter used to the idea. I literally got up about every 5 minutes and put her back in her room and her bed. She would come into the hallway and cry for me and make me feel AWFUL. My mom had been staying with us and we were short on rooms due to that so they had been rooming together. :( I finally had enough of my daughter not having her room and moved myself into the livingroom so she could have her own room. It took that for a few nights and then over the course of a few weeks I had to get up here and there and put her back in bed. Now she LOVES sleeping in her own bed, lol.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:37 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Here are a few suggestions, my son was the same way, unfortunatly once you start something that routine and comforting for them you can not blame them for wanting to stay in bed with you. You can lay with her a few nights and gradually stay less and less time. When she does climb in bed with you and she is asleep you can place her in own bed. Does she take naps in her own bed? If not then start there first. If she does it will take less time to convert since she is use to her bed for naps. At night time you could read her a book in her bed, even if she does not stay there at least start the routine. You could giver her a book (soft book), stuffed animal to keep with her but she only gets it in her bed, the special toy does not go in your bed. The older she gets the easier it will be because you can then say to her...you are a big girl now. You can give her a night light. Good luck!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• my oldest slept with me for 3 years,until I finally figured it out her bed was little and plain, mine was a king waterbed with heat and comfey covers and lots of pillows, so she got a upgrade to supersingle waterbed with all the goodies she was missing, and never slept with me again unless she was sick.
    whitedove34

Answer by whitedove34 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Have you ever watched Super Nanny? She has a technique that works, but requires A LOT of patience & time. Go to the Super Nanny wesite to get the details, but we tried it & it worked. The trick is to be consistent! I know it's hard, but it's so worth it. Good Luck.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I actually just went through this with my LO this past weekend. My LO is 13 months old; we actually took his crib apart (we only used it for about 3 months before we started co-sleeping). I used the mattress from his crib, placed it against the wall next to my bed. We gave him the pillow he used in our bed. It took several attempts to keep him on his little mattress before he actually got tired enough to go to sleep. We gave him his night bottle and he finally fell asleep. He woke up during the night but ultimately stayed sleeping in his "bed" the whole night. We are trying this for now before we get him a toddler bed to get him used to the idea of sleeping in his own space. Good luck and I hope it works out!

LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 2:52 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• we had to do it to becausei was pregnant so what we did was get him a bed he picked out something he liked we ended up getting him a car. we put the bed in our room right next to our bed and we got him bedding he really liked he loved the movie cars so e got him everythign fromc ars including pillow and everythign so he really liked how it looked at the end. we would tell him if he was goin to sleep with mcqueen. and at first i started with making him take naps there and then i would start putting him in his bed after he fell asleep in out bed i would change him to his. after about 2 weeks of this he started going into his bed and now he sleeps there bed time and naptime all by himself just be persistant and make sure you dont scare her to i think its bette ra little bit at the stie so its not tomuch for her to handle. just go step by step it will take longer but im sure it will help her fear
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My daughter is 4 years old now she slept in my bed till she was 2 years old. If u have a toddlers bed try puting it in your room beside your bed and that way she will be close to you still but be out of your bed. She will get used to the idea of being in her own bed then you could gradually move her bed back in to her own room. That worked with my daughter she stayed in our room till she was 3 then we baught her a twin bed and she has slept in her room since then and now hates to sleep in our bed. She relized that she has alot more room to sleep in.
    NicNat8505

Answer by NicNat8505 at 5:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2010