My son will not put down the bottle! any useful suggestions?

My son is 2 1/2 and he is still stuck on the bottle we have tried to take it away but its an addiction to him. If we take it away he will bite himself and scream until he gets it. We have gone for hours with trieing to make it so he doesn't have a bottle but he never stops screaming and he will bite himself and leave welts on his arms. I am in desperate need of some imediate advise.

loveingmommy181

Asked by loveingmommy181 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• make the nipple taste bad!! like umm i heard of moms using cayan pepper, or i think they make stuff u can put on ur kids fingers to stop them from sucking on them... maybe if it doesnt taste good anymore maybe he'll go for the sippy!! make sure the sippy is introduced b4 taking the bottle away get him to drink outa the sippy b4 anything.... GL hun i know its hard!!
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 2:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• you should have took it away from him at 1. the older they are the harder it is to take it away. as for now, all i can tell you is like the pp said, make it taste nasty, like put vinegar on it or something, or you can get the transitional sippies. GL
    Anonymous

• It only seems like it's hard because you don't want to hear the screaming. He will eventually stop crying. Kids can NOT cry forever- contrary to what parents think.
    I have 3 kids- all bottle of course. We took the bottle away and let them have their little tantrums, crying fits, etc. They WILL get over it.
    And honestly, it's not as hard as you think it will be. A few days and you'll think "why didn't I do it sooner". And I disagree about a "sippy". It can be just as bad as a bottle. There's nothing like seeing a 2 or 3 year old walking around with a "sippy" stuck to their lips- it's the same as a bottle but it's now a cup they are "addicted" to. It's all the same thing. A child does NOT need to steadily drink out of something. A sippy cup is fine when the child is thirsty. But not good to walk around with or go to bed with.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I have the same problem. My son just turned 3. I started putting water in it, thinking he wouldn't like it, but he loves it with water. He has about 4 a day. I can't get him to stop. He cries so hard when he wants one, I just give in.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I took the bottle away at 15mo, cold turkey threw every bottle out. then i gave him a sippy cup, but it was a big boy cup it had a straw in it. then about two mo ago, 22mo i took the sippy away and now he only drinks out of a regular cup. it is easier to do it when they are younger, but its not impossible. i strongly suggest throwing all the bottles away so you wont be tempted to give in to his tantrums. yes its tough to hear your child cry, but in the long run it's better for them. by letting him continue to use the bottle it is very bad for their teeth. good luck!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• try telling him you lost all his bottles so there's no more, thats how I got my son off the pacifier
    Anonymous

• Two words...
    COLD TURKEY
    it's so bad for their teeth to be using a bottle at that age. And since he's getting pretty old, weaning him off probably won't be an option. I'm serious, at night when he's sleeping, round up all his bottles and throw them away. He'll be pissed off at first but I swear once he realizes the only way for his juice or milk is in a sippy cup, he'll start drinking. Be prepare for a few tantrums but don't turn back!
    My daughter is 20 months old and uses big girl cups (no sippy unless we're travleing and no straws) you can do it, just stick with it.
    bethany_smith

Answer by bethany_smith at 3:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I took my sons away at 1. I just kept giving him the cup instead. He would throw it clear across the room but Id just hand it back to him. He eventually stopped.
    ELISOTO310

Answer by ELISOTO310 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Please do NOT put cayenne pepper or vinegar on the nipple! Please just don't do that. I talked with my daughter's ped. about my neighbor doing that; he and I both agree that it is cruel.
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 3:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2008