How do you not get called to do jury duty?

What can I do to not get called? I can't serve anyway because I have small children and noone to care for them at all, but what about when i am able to serve? How do I not get served in the first place?

I'm not asking how to get out of serving once I get that letter in the mail, I'm asking how do I get off the list of people they call to serve? Make sense?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• The only way I've learned to stay off that list is to not register to vote. In my area that is what they go off of.
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 2:45 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Dont register to vote.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:45 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I don't believe there is a way to do that.. Not too sure. It doesn't really matter.. If you have children to care for, then just tell them that.. and you won't have to serve.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Forfeit your drivers license and don't vote. Those are the two biggest places they get the lists from.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I'm not sure there's actually anything you can do to prevent getting the letter. Just be sure you respond appropriately if you do get it.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I don't think you can. I know you can tell them you are not available for several reasons once you get the letter, but I think all registered voters are eligible.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Not sure you can get off the list since it is considered our civic duty and no one is immune no matter their circumstances. Pretty sure they go by drivers license, but getting called is not something you should really be worried about, and if you are, then you explain your circumstances to get out of it.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 2:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I've heard others say it isn't true, but ever since I stopped registering to vote they haven't called on me for JD.

When I did in the past, I'd tell them truthfully that I had a medical condition that wouldn't allow me to sit for long periods. They never verified it, since they had plenty of other people to pick from, so I just stuck with that until I figured out to stop registering to vote.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:48 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Just tell them the truth and they will take you off the list. I use to get them, and I told them I'm physically unable to serve. That's all I said, and that could apply to a lot of reasons, let them choose what they want to put it as.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 2:50 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• In our state, I think the selections are made from the Driver's License Bureau. It may be from the voter registration, but I don't think so. It is supposed to be strictly a random computerized selection. My husband just served and my son is serving this month. I'm 64 years old and have never been called but one time in my whole life.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:00 PM on Aug. 16, 2010