Car seat questions??

So my son will be one next month and I am wondering when am I able to turn his car seat to forward facing?? Also my daughter will be 6 this month when does she no longer need a booster seat??

momma-meg

Asked by momma-meg at 2:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• depends on your laws. most states say 1 and 20lbs for the carseat to be forward facing. as for your 6 year old, you need to check the laws. some go by weight, some go by age, some go by height, some go by all of the above. i know that in Virginia, they're not allowed out of a booster seat until the age of 8, height is 4'9, and i believe the weight is 80lbs. like i said, you have to check your state laws. oh, btw, they said on Good Morning America that they did a study, and the booster seats that are only strapped in by the seat belt are NOT safe. the ones that have an anchor on them are the safe ones. the ones that don't have anchors on them don't serve it's purpose.
    Anonymous

• You should be able to turn him around once he reaches one with no troubles. They usually recommend they be one and over 20 pounds to turn them around, so he should be just fine. I'm not sure of your states laws, but most states say they have to be over 8 before they can be out of a booster seat. You can call the local police department to find out about your laws on the booster seats.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My son is 11 months and we just bought him the foward facing seat cause he got to big for the other one. As for the booster seat im not sure we're not there yet lol. but like anon said check on your local law about seats. look at the book for your seat too those usually say when hes too big or when they can ride forward.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• The guidelines for your son are one year old AND 20 pounds. When he is both, you can turn him around. It is suggested that you leave him rear facing until he reaches his seat's rear-facing maximum since facing backwards is safer. But that's just a suggestion. The one year and 20 pounds is generally law.

For your daughter, it depends on your state's laws. Here in CA, it is 8 years old / 80 pounds / 49 inches. The height is the critical factor. If a child is not tall enough, the car's seat belt can actually decapitate them in an accident. So take a look at your state's laws and look closely at how tall your daughter is before getting rid of the booster seat. You can always point out to her that the booster seat lets her see out the windows better. That may help.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• If you read the guidelines on the side of your car seat, it will give you any/all the information you need (along with checking with your state laws)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My daughter is 6 yrs old and weighs 58 lbs and I still keep her in a booster seat. I figure that its not hurting doing so, I just feel better knowing the seatbelt it at the right area on her. I put my daughter in a front facing carseat at approx. 13 months.
    beccabeccapink

Answer by beccabeccapink at 3:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2008