If you have issues with the Muslim faith or consider it's presence disrespectful

Does that extend to the Muslim women who post on CM? Do you distrust them or consider them traitors, even terrorists? Are you wary of black Muslims, too, or only the ones of Middle Eastern heritage? What about the white European Muslims from the Slavic regions? When you picture in your mind what a Muslim is, are you only imagining the stereotype of an Osama bin Laden cartoon, or do you consider the ones who were born and raised in the US, are 3rd or 5th generation Americans, and you don't even know they are Muslim unless they volunteer the info to you? Do you distrust the modern American Muslim women who choose not to wear a hijab and look like Heidi Klum, but still pray 5 times a day? How do these black, white and Asian Muslims threaten you when you can't even pick them out of a crowd? Do you fear Hindus as much as Muslims? What exactly is the factor that makes any Muslim the equivalent of a terrorist in your mind?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Personally, I don't have issues with Islam or it's adherents. I lived in a mostly Arabic neighborhood in Dearborn, MI for a number of years, and sat vigil for my neighborrs two houses down when Beirut was being bombed four years ago, which started two days after they arrived for their first visit back "home" in twenty years.

Having said that, how can the presence of ANY faith in particular be disrespectful? Unfortunately, there are plenty of people in the world who think anyone who is different from them in anyway are a threat to their own choices, and I would ask any Muslim CM members to understand that those posters also tend to really distrust lots of other subgroups of people, as well.
    laurelsmama

Answer by laurelsmama at 3:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I have Muslim friends and we have been friends since middleschool , you have to be above the stereotype hype i am and i do not give in to what others read and believe sorry. IMO anyone living can be a terrorist ...
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 3:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Well said.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• What exactly is the factor that makes any Muslim the equivalent of a terrorist in your mind?

I vote this, the question of the day- So many seem so convinced  that soon the entire US will be under Sharia Law, I figured they must have some insider info.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:17 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• What about the white European Muslims from the Slavic regions

? How do these black, white and Asian Muslims threaten you when you can't even pick them out of a crowd?

Humorous.

I've got a nice sun tan going, and the only way to know my ethnicity is  to ask me.

I could be Moroccan, I could be Italian.

I could be Greek. I could be Iraqi or Iranian.

I don't mind skin color.

Some of my favorite people are BROWN.

This is going to stun you:

I've got a problem with the behavior of  Muslims.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 3:20 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• which Muslim behavior, Grace?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I've got a problem with the behavior of Muslims.

Which behavior? Not drinking? Praying? Acts of charity? Which one of those offends you?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Now that's a wrench in your dumb-ass theory!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 3:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Put me in the "I've go no problems with Muslims" category.

Some of the best treatment I have ever been privy to when travelling in other countries has been from Muslims. I have been taken into homes, fed, sheltered, treated as a part of the family. Just because.... On top of that, hey some of my favorite family Members are Muslim :-)

Some People who have these outlandish ideas about Muslims, most likely have never actually been around Muslim. Never been to a Mosque, never been to a country that has a large Muslim presence, never sat down to a meal with Muslims, have never lived in a home with Muslims.. Most likely a majority of the people that have such disdain for Muslims, knew nothing about Muslims (some had never even heard of a Muslilm) before 9/11. Since that was their 1st intro to Muslims/Islam they have formed biased opinions, based on little fact and experience but mostly based on rhetoric and BS.......
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• LOL! I don't see the wrench, I must have missed it....
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2010