does this make me neglctful mother?

ok my SIL called me a neglectful mother because i make my 7yr old put her laundry in the washer then in the dryer then put it away. I do not make her put the soap in or start the washer, she can reach and work the dryer so she does start it. the 7 yr old has to do this cause she wets the bed and i have a 5 month old in the house every time i have done the laundry i get pink eye (wkly) i got when i prego with the baby i started making the 7 yr old do it. now that i have had the baby i still dont do it in case i have to tend to the baby right away. there are other chores she has to do. I am a neglectful mom for trying to keep myself and the baby healthy as well as teaching the 7 yr old responsibility and independence?

puresouthern

Asked by puresouthern at 3:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think your SIL needs to look up the definition of neglectful. Here, let me post it and then you can show it to her:

ne•glect•ful (ni glekt′fəl)
    adjective
    characterized by neglect; heedless; negligent: often with of

ne•glect (ni glekt′)
    transitive verb
    to ignore or disregard: to neglect the advice of others
    to fail to care for or attend to sufficiently or properly; slight: to neglect one's family
    to fail to carry out (an expected or required action) through carelessness or by intention; leave undone
    Origin: < L neglectus, pp. of negligere, neglegere, not to heed, be regardless of < neg- (see negation) + legere, to gather (see logic)

noun
    the action of neglecting
    lack of sufficient or proper care; negligence; disregard
    the state of being neglected

You aren't being neglectful, you're teaching your child responsibility.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i think that what you are having your child do is nothing more then helping around the house with chores.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 3:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Well I would say no. I am a big fan of kids doing chores. For one reason, we all live in this house and to keep it nice we all need to help take care of it. For another, once my kids are grown they are going to need to know how to do everything to take care of their own houses. And there is a lot to learn! So I teach them each step as they are tall/strong/coordinated enough to do it. I don't think there is anything wrong with a 7 year old doing laundry.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• You are not your child's maid. You are teaching your child responsibility! And your child can safely operate the washer and dryer. But it should NEVER be and you should NEVER tell her it is because she wets the bed!!!! She's 7 years old and there is nothing that she is doing wrong by wetting the bed. Some children just have bladder issues!!!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• having her wash her own clothes teaches responsibility It doesn't make you neglectful.

However, she does seem a little young to be doing it by herself, but if she does it willingly (ie: puts in the soap, etc.) then why make her stop?

In the meantime, just make sure you wash your hands well after handling dirty clothes and you will stay perfectly healthy!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I dont see how this makes you neglectful at all. I think you're SIL doesnt know what shes talking about.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 3:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• no, I think you are teaching your kids responsibilities! It's a good thing to know!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Most kids like to help, and if you are standing there while she is putting the laundry in, that's not neglectful. As long as she doesn't see it as a punishment, then I see no harm in having her put her own stuff in the wash. I hope you have her wash her hands after touching dirty laundry though.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• That doesn't sound neglectful at all.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I think it is great that she is helping out around the house. I would make sure she doesnt think she is being punished fo wetting. My dd wet the bed for quite awhile and I had to start walking her to the bathroom about 3 hours after she went to sleep. She would sleep thru me taking her to hte bathroom, but that is why she was a bedwetter..she was a very heavy sleeper! Kids can do all kinds of chores..making her responsible is a reat thing!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:12 PM on Aug. 16, 2010