Reading to your baby?

Do you and how often do you read to your little one? What do you read? Does your baby respond to you when you read?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD has been listening to me read since before she was born to my 5yo DS I would say she likes it since it calms her down
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I started reading to my DD around 9 months old. We started with board books and would just read on the living room floor. As she got closer to a year we would sit in her room before going to bed and read a story. Sometimes she would fight and I wouldn't force but it has become part of our routine even if it is the same story night after night :-)
    Expecting1st

Answer by Expecting1st at 3:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• When Tess was a newborn and kept me up late at night, I read classic books on my reading list. She got to hear all about Dracula and Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde. lol

When she was a bit older and aware, we read a lot of Goodnight Moon and Sandra Boynton books since they have a nice rhythm to them and bright colors.

She went through phases where for a few weeks she'd be very engrossed, and other times she wouldn't sit still for half a minute.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I started when my babies were around 2 months old - when we started a bedtime routine. I would read 2 board books to them before naptimes and bedtime. When they got older I also read to them whenever they asked, which would be often.

Answer by missanc at 3:12 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i tried to read to her but she dont like it .she just wants to look at the pictures and turn the pages her self .my oldest loved when people read to her when she was younger
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 3:20 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I've read to mine ever since they were newborns. At first, it was whatever I was reading, and I just read it out loud. As they started to become more interested, I'd choose books by illustrations, something they would enjoy looking at, and then by rhythm, something that was fun to read and hear. Sometimes they're very interested in what's going on and will sit with me and look at the pictures and point things out on the pages. Other times, they play and I read. And still other times, they take the book out of my hands, either so they can turn the pages themselves or so I can play with them. As they got (and get) older, I let them choose what they want to be read; sometimes it's Goodnight Moon or The Berenstain's B Book, and sometimes it's Harry Potter.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:29 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My 10 month old is up on the bed when we read our night time stories to the 2 yr old. He does more of chewing the books right now LOL But sometiems he sits and looks at the pictures when I read just to him. But right now it's more of the sensory experience for him. But it's a good habbit to start with them.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I read to my LO a lot when she was a baby. Now that she is a toddler she is more interested in getting down and running. I don't force it. I read to her when she wants to read. Some days it is all day that we read other times it is maybe half a book. I follow her lead. I don't want to force her to read. I want her to enjoy it and want to read.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:38 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My son loves books, but doesn't have the patients for me to read every single word on every page. Therefore, We just look through the books at the pictures. On the rare occassion he'll let me read them we do. He brings a book to me about once a day for us to look through.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:40 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I read to my son everynight. I started reading to him when we found we are pregnant. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2010