A few questions about making vegetable soup in the slow cooker.

The ingredients in my veggie soup are:
Barley
Peas
Carrots
Celery
Potatoes
Green Onions
Onions
Green Beans
MAYBE Broccoli
Beans or Lentil
Vegetable Broth
My questions are these:
1. How long should I cook this in the slow cooker?
2. How much Vegetable Broth should I use?
3. Should I cook the beans/lentil and barley before I put them in the slow cooker or just soak them?

CaptivatedByGod

Asked by CaptivatedByGod at 3:19 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I would cook the beens and barley ahead of time so that when you put them in the slow cooker they don't absorb all of the fluids. You need enough fluid to cover the vegetables and about 1/2 and inch more. Cook everything until your vegetables are as tender as you would like. It sounds really good and I hope that your family enjoys it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:29 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• No, don't cook the lentils or barley ahead. Cook 8- 10 hours. I'd probably add the potatoes after a couple hours, since they might get a little mushy, but everything can be added at the same time. I'd put all the vegetables in the crockpot and fill with liquid to within say 2 inches of the top. The lentils and barley will soak up a lot of the liquid, but you can add more later if you think it is getting too thick.

Answer by Bmat at 3:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Dried beans should be soaked overnight and the liquid discarded, then they can go into the pot. Lentils don't need soaking.

Answer by Bmat at 3:37 PM on Aug. 16, 2010