Questions about BF'ing, ".", & getting preggers...

I am currently BF'ing my LO, but are planning to wean soon. I have not started my "." again. We are thinking about adding to our family, Drs are OK w/it.

A few questions:
- When should I expect my "." to start up again after weaning? Will it have the same cycle as before I got pregnant?

- If I don't get my "." before we start trying, I know I can still get pregnant. Besides a pregnancy test, how else could I tell?

Squirrell34

Asked by Squirrell34 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• Well, the way I understand it is, once you ovulate you will start having a period. So technically you can get pregant before you start your period but it would be the first time you ovulated. And it would be very hard to predict when that was coming. I recommend the book "Taking Charge of your Fertility" ( the author escapes memory) it's on Amazon.com But it tells other ways to chart and predict your period and there is a special chapter about BFing. By taking your waking temp and paying attention to cervical fluid you can more accurately predict ovualtion and and detect pregnancy.
    woodj2

Answer by woodj2 at 5:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• English please?
    Anonymous

• What does "BF'ing" and "LO" mean?
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• "." = your period.
    LO = my little one
    BF = breastfeeding
    Squirrell34

Answer by Squirrell34 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• oh ok i get it now. and as for your question. no clue. sorry have you tried askin the nurses. There is a group of RN's you can ask them questions.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 3:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• It will be more difficult to get pregnant until you have a few cycles, it is very possible though. YOur period will be totally out of wack for awhile, mine came totally random for about 6 mos. there isn't really away of really knowing if your PG if your not having a period, unless you test. you will probably get a period though within a month or two of weaning. good luck.
    CaityMarie

Answer by CaityMarie at 4:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I stopped breastfeeding my son and started having a period about 3 mths later, but I have known moms whose period comes back when baby drops down to 2-3 feedings a day.
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 6:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My friend got pregnant right after weaning her son, never even had a period at all. Just a pregnancy test told her. I would continue prenatal vits, it is a better start for the baby anyways. Just buy stock in pregnancy tests until you know for sure is all I can say. She just never had a period at all!! Lucky girl!! I BF and STILL got my dang period every month with all of the 5 kids I BF!! Good luck on TTC!! I can't wait to hear good news!!
    Tigger013169

Answer by Tigger013169 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2008