Do cloth diapers have to be changed more frequently than disposables?

Obviously you change any diaper right when they poop in it, but do you have to check for pee more often with cloth? What about at night? Thanks!

barefootbooks

Asked by barefootbooks at 3:24 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• They need to be changed for frequently b/c they cannot hold as much urine in them. Try getting one wet and you will be able to feel the difference.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:26 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I always changed my son as soon as I smelled pee and he wore disposables. I think it's gross to let them sit in their own pee/poop, no matter how little. I would go in my son's room a few times a night when he was a baby and I would change him if he was wet.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Somewhat, but not that much of a difference. Maybe over a 24 hour time period my 10 month old uses 4 more than if he was in disposable. At night, for the first round of sleep I use a nighttime disposable one though. Because he can sleep up to 7 hours. And in the heavy wetter cloth ones he just pees out. But after that he gets back into the cloth ones.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:30 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I would think so.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• seems like it would be that way
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 3:37 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I didn't notice that much of a difference, but I changed my daughter within a few minutes of her peeing or pooping unless we were in the car and I couldn't right away. My daughter only had like one or two leaks at night from cloth, too. She had more from disposables, but I'm sure it's different for every baby and every kind of diaper.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I only used cloth diapers with my both my children so I don't really know the difference, however I would say anytime I could smell pee they were changed. I may have checked more frequently only because I didn't want them to get a rash for sitting too long in a wet diaper.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• you should be changing their diapers the same, regardless cloth or sposie!
    3Mommy020810

Answer by 3Mommy020810 at 8:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2010