Do fathers get maternity leave in Michigan?

Do Father's have a right to maternity leave in Michigan? My husband's been off work for THREE days, one of which I was in labor. He's been threatened losing his job if he does not come back tomorrow. I hurt, and I am not ready for him to go back! Right now, I'm like a child myself!

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 3:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Google it
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 3:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• No...only Moms get Maternity Leave....but he might get PATERNITY Leave
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• he may qualify for FMLA, but he and his employer have to meet the criteria, and most likely it is unpaid leave
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• It depends on the benefits he's given on his job. As far as him being able to take leave without threating his job, I don't know. It would be limited , but you would have to find the specific laws in your state.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 3:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• He might qualify for FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) time. If he's worked for that company for at least a year, and they employ more than 50 people in a 75 mile radius (I could be wrong about the specifics there, you'll have to look it up to be sure), then it should cover his leave. It's not guaranteed paid time, but it legally requires his job to let him take time off to care for a newborn, a newly adopted or fostered child, or other family member who needs him, for up to 12 weeks (total, it doesn't have to be taken all at once), and they have to hold his job for him during that time.

IF his job meets the requirements. Google FMLA, and have him talk to someone in HR.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• He may be eligible for FMLA, if he has been there for 1 year and worked 1250 hours in that year and his place of employment has more than 50 employees other than that he has to go back to work. You will be ok. My hubby was in training for deployment when our ks were born and I had no help for me, the baby or the older kids.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• and generally FMLA must be requested in advance in forseeable circumstances. Why did DH not take care of this before the baby was born?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Nope but he could apply for the FMLA act if he qualifies
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 4:03 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• unlikely. some moms find themselves in the same situation. they lose their jobs because they have a baby and can't work for a bit. where i work, men can take paternity leave, but that's because there are a lot of employees and so we have FMLA. and it is unpaid. my husband was off 2 or 3 days and our baby was in the NICU 2 hours from home for 26 days.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 16, 2010