any moms out there that are advocates for their children (autism in my case) and how to balance it out?

how do you balance it out
sometimes i feel like such an advocate that i have to step down and remember to be a mom

my daughter is three, has autism, birth to three and now going to pre k in fall, applying for extended therapy, all the paperwork, doctors, therapists, gov. agencies etc.. has me jumping through so many hoops...it is like me=mom has been replaced by me-advocate

any other moms fighting to get benefits and such for their children have this identity issue, or is it just a matter of finding time to step back from the emense task of being an advocate??

advise?

my daughter is only three, so i am sure i will have years of this, just getting started with school system=heard school system is no joy to get help from

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 3:41 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes. My son is on state insurance and we are having to pull strings to get him therapy outside of just school.
    We have had a wonderful experience with our school system as far as Special needs accommodation go so far. I have heard horror stories though...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My ds will be 4 next month and he is PDD-NOS. It's definitely a struggle keeping up with all the appointments, teacher visits, and so on. What helps me is that I keep a computer journal of all my tele. conversation with the school board, teachers and therapist. I also have a printed copy I keep in binders so that I am sure that if the computer breaks down, I still have my notes. I have a separate binder with the early intervention documents and notes, a binder for all my communication with the Bd of Education and another one for the preschool. I also keep copies of his IEPs and teacher reviews in that binder. If it wasn't for this system, I would be a wreck because there is so much paperwork involved. I work full-time and I use my lunch break to make calls re services for my son or to call his teacher and find out how he's doing. I was just told by a dir at the preschool that I am a great advocate - great compliment!
    nicksmommy1000

Answer by nicksmommy1000 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2010