Who makes there own baby food and why?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We do a little of both. Our DD is only 6 months so we're just starting with solids. If DH is cooking something that can easily be pureed or mashed for her like carrots or bananas or sweet potatoes, then we'll give her that. If we're having something that's not so easy on the tummy yet (enchiladas or pizza), I'll give her a jar of something mixed with some brown rice cereal.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I did/will. It is cheaper and healthier. Not to mention, no kid ever needs those liquidy crap in a jar. Wait until they can sit up and pick up finger foods and give them avocado, backed sweet potato and banana.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I do. It is less expensive, more nutritious and tastier than jarred foods.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I did. It was cheaper. My husband and I had to pay out of pocket for baby food so I decided to buy fresh veggies, steam them, and throw them in a blender. No salt, etc. So much healthier.,
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:52 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I did for my two year old, and will again with our next baby. It's really easy--I bought a Magic Bullet and went crazy with it :) Fruits and veggies were easy, just steam them and then puree. I also did simple meals in the slow cooker and then pureed them, and as he got older, I would just puree less and leave more chunks until finally he was eating table food. His favorite slow cooker meals were beef stew (beef cubes, carrots, potatoes, peas, a little onion, and some water) and chicken and peaches (chicken breasts, frozen peaches, brown rice, and a little water). I loved knowing what was in the food he was eating, and that it was fresh with no preservatives or chemicals.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I did it with my 2nd. I wish I'd known how easy it was, or I'd have done it for my 1st. It was easy, healthier and cheaper.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:17 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I breastfed and started solids after 6 mo and babies don't need baby food. All you have to do is fork mash foods like banana, sweet potato, or avacado and let the baby feed itself. You don't need to "make baby food."

Babies don't need cereals or commercial baby food. They are over priced, not as good for the baby, may taste bad, are bad for the environment, and have to be spoonfed. It is better for the baby to feed itself real food. I did this with my three children (now 30, 27, & 22) and my toddler grandson. La Leche League has recommended this for at least 30 years.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• He ate both homemade and commercial babyfood. I wanted to introduce my baby to a larger variety of things than just what Gerber sells. Plus I wanted to have more control over the ingredients and texture (started making it more chunky when he could handle it). While I love the convenience of the jarred foods, some of it was just gross (the meats smell weird, and is that imitation banana flavoring in the bananas?) An immersion blender and a bunch of ice cube trays made it all pretty easy. Just pop a few cubes of turkey chili or homemade hummus into the microwave, cut up some fruit and bread and we have lunch!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Honestly, I really wish I could, or knew how. I would love to make my own baby food.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I tried but could never get it fine enought and my son almost chocked, after that I just started using Gerber
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 3:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2010