Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Fatty Liver in a Cat... I need support in my desicion. :'0(

SO I was blind sided today at work. I took my cat in to the clinic with me because he had been sneezing and hadn't been eating for a few days. Got there pulled him out of the crate to put him in a cage and his eyes were as yellow as yellow can be. My first thought was 'well, F___!' I have made the decision to put him to sleep...I think. I know from experience that with out a lot of time and money it can't be fixed and the conservative route isn't likely to help. I feel so bad like I should at least try...He is still in good spirits in fact the vet (my boss) couldn't even hear his heart over the purr. I had adopted to cat way way way over weight and we had been working on getting him to loose. He has lost well but a little to fast. NOt so fast you would have expected this complication though. The doctor thinks he must have been borderline and the cold and not eating for 3 days kind of sent him over the edge. con't

 
But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 3:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Pets

Level 44 (181,635 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (15)
  • If he hasn't been eating, then the disease seems pretty advanced. Is he drinking? If he is doing neither, then he will start a rapid decline and will be suffering. I have also had cats near death who would purr. The kind thing to do is to put him down, when you feel it is really necessary. It will be hard on you, but it is something you need to do for your friend. I've had to put down several in my life and it never gets any easier, but it is the only reasonable thing to do in those cases.
    mikesmom65270

    Answer by mikesmom65270 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • I've been in your shoes. My cat had liver failure. The vet said I could put him in the animal hospital on IV's for $1,000 a day (no way in the world we could afford that) or we could try and get him to eat wet food. If he'd eat the wet food his liver could repair itself. But, if he continued to not eat, he would get sick enough that we'd have to put him down. He ate the wet food and bounced back in 3 days. That was 8 years ago. He's now 13 years old and still here.

    Wednesday sounds like a good plan. Go buy some wet foood. My vet said read the ingredients and buy the wet catfood with the most meat and the absolute least amount of veggies or grains possible. If you're cat eats it he'll either be better by Wednesday or not. But either way at least you gave it a shot.
    ThrivingMom

    Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • What does the vet say?
    JGRIMMER

    Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:00 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • Optimal route would be a inter nasal gastric tube for 6-12 weeks but that would cost a fortune even with my discount. I am talking 1000+ dollars. I am just heart broken. But all 3 vets in the clinic agree that it's all (1000+ treatment) or nothing (euthanasia). The middle of the road (300+) isn't likely to help any at all, just prolong the inevitable. This is the right decision right? Even if he isn't suffering now he will be soon. I am just so sad.
    But_Mommie

    Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • If you wait until he suffers, how long would it take to get in? If you can get him in that day or the next, I would say to let him live until he is in pain and then go.

    I did this for my rottie that had cancer. When she started getting into pain and not moving well, I had her put to sleep.
    Jademom07

    Answer by Jademom07 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • I had to have our cat put down. It WAS A HARD DECISION, but, I did NOT him to SUFFER any longer.

    I let him go, holding him in my arms as he took his last deep breath. It took about a minute or so after the veterinarian gave him the injection. I said my goodbyes and told the little guy to go and that I loved him and would miss him. After all, I had had him since he was a little kitten and he was 21 years old.

    It was hard at first to not see him. About a yea later, we got a new kitten named Sugar. It has been eight years now and I still think of my Moochie. Sugar is a great cat and he is very much loved. I think HE loves us too!

    Good luck and God Bless you and your Family!
    AdrianaS

    Answer by AdrianaS at 4:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • I know it's tough. My mom just put down her dog and my dad was willing to take extreme measures to keep him going, but he got to the point where he was suffering or would be soon. There isn't a medication that can help? Maybe keep him a little while longer, so the family has time to say their goodbyes. Once you see that he is no longer in good spirits, then I would do it.
    JGRIMMER

    Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • I agree with Jade.... and I am so sorry. :( I would be devastated too.
    Memigen

    Answer by Memigen at 4:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • You can contact local shelters and see if they can put a call out to see if someone is willing to adopt him and cover the costs but that would take at least a few days if not a week or two. If suffering is happening now then yes, you are making the right decision. We don't always like our decisions but it's not always about us. If your cat will be able to find peace and go over the rainbow bridge versus living a painful life, I'm thinking the first route would be the one your cat would pick. *hugs* You're a wonderful person for adopting the cat and giving it an amazing life. With time perhaps you could be another angel for another cat.
    Cassarah

    Answer by Cassarah at 4:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • << Hugs >>

    If you can't afford it and the outcome will be the same, I would do the same in your shoes. Can you take him home for a few days to say goodbye before things get worse?
    anng.atlanta

    Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN