How can I get my 2 year old son to pee on the potty on his own rather than on the floor next to the potty?

I am in the middle of potty training and my son is finally associating bodily functions with the bathroom. This morning I ran out of sight for a moment (I have been watching him constantly and wisking him away to the potty when he starts peeing) and I hear the toilet flushing. I run to the bathrooom and sure enough he is standing next to the toilet in a pool of pee. I am glad on one had that he went into the bathroom to do it, but am wondering how I can get him to climb up the step stool and sit on the potty. Any advice ladies. Much appreciated.

mamahertz

Asked by mamahertz at 4:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• get him his own potty seat to make it easier. Congrats on this big mile stone! You are well on the way. Make sure whenever he wakes up you take him right there and have him climb up on the toilet instead of you setting him up there.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 4:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Place a piece of toilet tissue in the toilet. Tell him to pee on the paper to sink it! It worked for my boys! Good luck!
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:06 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Maybe let him stand to pee. Mine learned faster that way(although, now I can't get him to sit on it to poop, yet. Throw some cheerios in the toilet and have hime aim for them.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• If you find out please let us know.... I can't even get my hubby to hit the potty every time!!! LOL
    I tried Cheerios for my son, but he was to worried that there was food in the potty!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 4:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• yes, cheerios! helps with the aiming and it's fun! to make it more fun, throw some colorful fruitloops in there too. :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• LOL i'm so sorry...i just saw your question and busted out laughing...lol guess it's cuz i've been there and will be there again when it comes time to potty train my dd...you just gotta be consistant with it all, he'll end up getting it eventually. i got a timer and set it for ever hour, every half hour for when he didn't go until he did. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• lol the question just reminded me of my son the other day im in your same situation he can go to the bathroom but instead of trying to sit on his little potty we got he goes for right next to the potty lol but atleast we got to the point were they are in the washroom lol good luck i hope it works out i cant give you any advicie because im in the same situation but thanks for asking the question your answers can help many of us
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• yea i would try seeing if he wants to stand and go. my son started sitting but got bored with it, so i told him to try it like his daddy and he loves it. i also tried the cheerios but like someone else said he was more worried about it being food haha. but he loves bubbles, so i just tell him to make bubbles and he aims it in the water and it makes bubbles. but he also likes to sprinkle a bit on the seat on purpose because he likes to clean it up haha. he giggles and runs for the toilet paper. at least hes cleaning up after himself though, thats more than i can say for my husband! lol
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 7:52 PM on Aug. 16, 2010