stripping membranes?

girls I went and saw my ob's midwife today and she stripped my membranes. She said I should go into labor within 12-24hours? just wondering if any of you did or didnt. Also as soon as I got home I thought I needed to go pee but when I went it was just a trickle and I lost my mucous plug (I know for sure that is what it was) I looked like a big blob of snot with blood in it. do you guys think I will go into labor???? I hope so. Found out this little guy isnt so little. He is between 7lbs 11oz and 9lbs 11oz!!! His head is 9cm too!!! AH!!! my contractions are 5 minutes apart right now and painful but I'm ok.

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 4:13 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• my understanding is that getting your membranes stripped works less than half the time.... there is no way to know how big your baby is until he's born :-) GL!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• the lady that does my ultrasounds is a genius she was dead on with my first child so I am sure she is this time.
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I got my membranes stripped with my second child, and was in active labor a couple of hours later. I went and walked like crazy until the contractions started. Sounds like maybe your labor is VERY, VERY close!! Good luck!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I had that done 2 times with my oldest.......it didn't work at all! You can lose your mucus plug days before you go into labor but hopefully it worked for you!! Good luck :)

colethky

Answer by colethky at 4:26 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• No. I'm not sure how far along you are when I say this, but it's not something that I would have had done. Also, that weight range (if even accurate) sounds like and average sized healthy baby to me. Good luck to you.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• yeah you'll probly go into labor today or tomorrow, with your contractions every 5 minutes it might even be sooner than that. and that's not too big, my son was 10lbs 5oz 22inch :) GL!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i'm technically only 37 weeks. this baby is in the 80th percentile which means he is 80% bigger than babies should be at 37 weeks. I've never had it done. I was induced with my first child and while my labor being induced was great the midwife and doc suggested I get a move on it. My doc does not like giving c sections and didnt want to risk me having one. I also have a tumor inside my uterus which is causing complications. I'm 3 cm and 50% effaced. doc and midwife said tonight if my contrax get stronger and closer together to go straight to the hospital b/c 4 cm is active labor
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I lost my mucus plug with my first (no membrane stripping) at 36 or 37 weeks, and no labor by my C-section at 39 weeks. With my second, my membranes were stripped at 39 weeks 3 days, lost my plug 2 days later, went into labor the day after that. While it was relatively close to the membrane stripping, I think if it's going to happen, it usually happens within a matter of hours. All that happened for me in that time period was some mild cramping. So you could go into labor now, or tonight, or tomorrow, or next week, or it could be longer. There's no telling.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Well, I hope everything works out for a safe and healthy delivery.

However...YIKES! If your EDD puts you at 37 weeks, then you could actually be anywhere from 35 weeks to 39 weeks.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i'm confused, are they rushing things because of size, or because of a tumor? i agree with Erin, the dates would have me extremely nervous. Good luck :) i hope baby and you are healthy, baby's size really isn't an indicator of lung development etc. my son was born at 33 weeks weighing almost 6 lbs but he did considerably worse than the 4 lb 33 weekers surrounding us.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:41 PM on Aug. 16, 2010